Windmills are dangerous...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Whoa! That was amazing. Kinda always wondered what would happen to one of those things at high revs. Now I know.

Thanks for sharing. Pretty cool.

I don't think when they say 'Going green' they meant to eat the grass! :) I'm curious as to how not only one but 2 cameramen were there to record this? It wasn't staged?

No they had a bunch of people around trying to shut them down. It wouldn't have fallen if the prop hadnt hit the post though

I heard on the news recently that they (you know them) want to stop wind farmers from running the windmills because they found dead birds that ran into the blades!

Guys,

This is incident was a freak accident, it has never happened before. Each windmill is equipped with a computer which controls the direction of the mill and the pitch of the blades. The computer in this particular windmill malfunctioned, and instead of pointing the tower indirectly into the wind and alter the pitch of the blades, to slow down the prop, it remained stuck in one position pointing directly into the wind with the blades optimized for low wind speeds. This meant that as the wind picked up the windmill just kept going faster and faster, the blades creating too much lift. Furthermore the braking system had broke in storm a few days earlier, so there was no way to stop it.

All the guys on the ground could do was wait for the inevitable. The windmill had already been spinning out of control for hours before any camera crew got there, and it apparently took another two hours before the windmill failed, as the wind speed kept increasing.

Pretty amazing that the prop managed to go that fast before breaking though.

Pretty wild -

Where I used to live in SoCal we had a whole bunch of them. Never heard of one going out of control.

Yep. As was stated earlier, they are not "dumb" windmills. These things are millions of dollars and have the the electronics to protect themselves from over torgue, over rev, auto-feather in high winds, and other protection mechanisms. There are quite a few farms here in the eastern Washington area. Pretty friggin' amazing actually in size and power output, even in a normal day.

My boss's father is involved with a group trying to establish some windmills here in Minnesota. Matt's right, they are pretty sophisticated pieces of equipment. Last October my wife and I went to Duluth,MN. for a weekend and we saw these windmills sitting on the pier awaiting transport. They were huge. The generator/control section that sits atop the mast was as big as a city bus! The end of the blade that attaches to the hub was large enough to drive my van into. Really amazing. The problem here is the bureaucracy involved. One of the hoops the group has to jump thru is a wind survey. This takes a full year. The bureaucrats here must be overworked because they can only process one application at a time and it takes them TWO years to sign off on the project. Amazing!!!

Windmills dont get any bigger than those in Denmark though, check this is out from the windmill park outside Copenhagen:
energy_windmills_copenhagen2.jpg

energy_windmills_copenhagen.jpg

Attachments

• energy_windmills_copenhagen2.jpg
    energy_windmills_copenhagen2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 20
  • energy_windmills_copenhagen.jpg
    energy_windmills_copenhagen.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 21
Those are like, bigger than Copenhagen!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back