World War 2 in your backyard

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

after saying i would post some i have finally got around to getting some pictures.

these pillboxes guard the road from Seaton Carew / Hartlepool on the north east coast of England.
the road leads to what used to be ICI Billingham (Billingham is the town where i live)

the area where the pillboxes are is now very industrial on one side of the road and a wildlife reserve on the other, mainly for wet land birds, though seals also live in the river.

Good stuff Karl.
As far as I know, the larger of those bunkers was part of the anti-aircraft control system defending the ICI chemical works, a prime target for the Luftwaffe more or less throughout the war.

Good stuff Karl.
As far as I know, the larger of those bunkers was part of the anti-aircraft control system defending the ICI chemical works, a prime target for the Luftwaffe more or less throughout the war.
Could well be mate.

My Dornier came in from this direction and hit a barrage balloon at haverton hill and crashed in south bank

Marcel, most of these type of defences, along with the coastal defences, were built at the outbreak of war, although I think some at major industrial sites, may have been erected earlier.

Good stuff Karl.
In that book on the Luftwaffe losses over the NE, the structure in pics 4 and 5 in your post are described as part of the control bunker for the local anti-aircraft defences. The others, as stated in the PDF, are of course infantry fire positions.

Great shots Marcel, an I agree with Karl, they're impressive structures. The Germans certainly didn't do thing by halves when it came to building defensive positions.

Users who are viewing this thread