Worlds Greatest Rock Roll Band...

Worlds Greatest Rock Roll Band...

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great post Elvis! I'm of the opinon that the 50's and some part of the 60's music is the real Rock n' Roll music and not what you hear today, and as I said earlier some of the bands on the list is more heavy metal than anything else.

AC/DC for me they brought me into Rock and Roll and i havn't looked back.....
Ah, I remember it like it was yesterday.
I'm 15 (only because I hadn't had my birthday yet, that year) and I talk my mom into driving me 25 miles, so I can stand in line outside the local record store with all the other 15-year-old guys waiting to get in and buy a copy of "Highway to Hell"....The day it premiered on the US market.
When they opened their doors, it was a mad rush.
Only time I've been in a record shop and it standing room only.
The filled as many bins as they could with copies of the album, with the rest still in their shipping boxes, which were strewn all over the floor.
I played the crap outta that record and, later, it helped me learn to play drums.

Elvis

Chet Atkins is the man behind modern rock guitar. His influence and fusions of styles in 50s was truly remarkable.
Seattle rock-n-roll veterans, The Ventures, first hit was their version of the Chet Atkins song, "Walk, don't Run".
I really admired his work with Mark Knopfler.

GREG0002%20001.jpg

Elvis

Naw. I was lucky and one of the first 20 or so in the door, so there were still plenty of copies when I was in there.
It's the kids standing in line, 3 blocks down the street, that probably got jipped.
Just doesn't seem like there would've been much left by the time they would've gotten in.

...and yes. Those definately were, "the days"! ;)

Elvis

Chet Atkins, eh? Well, I'm partial to Duane Eddy, Link Wray and Dick Dale....those are my guitar heroes. But I can't argue with The Ventures, The Shadows and some others...

rockduanneeddy.jpg

link2.jpg

Dick_Dale.jpg

Rebel Rouser, Rumble and PipelineTrue and real music... :lol:

If it wasn't for Buddy Holly and his boys, you would have NONE of these bands... :lol:
Besides, aren't some of the band heavymetal and not Rock n' Roll?

Heavy Metal is a form of Rock n Roll.

Great post Elvis! I'm of the opinon that the 50's and some part of the 60's music is the real Rock n' Roll music and not what you hear today, and as I said earlier some of the bands on the list is more heavy metal than anything else.

You see that is where personal opinion comes into play.

For instance I love Rock Music.

I love all kinds of Rock Music including:

50's
60's
70's
80's Glam Rock
Heavy Metal
Classic Metal
Black Metal
Hard Rock
Acid Rock
Some Punk Rock
Soft Rock
Folk Rock

My favorite however is Heavy Metal which is a form of Rock Music and mostly the bands such as Metallica, Iron Maiden, etc...

By the way I will be seeing Metallica for the 10th time since 1989 next summer at Rock im Park 2008!!!!:p

Hey Adler! How's tricks? I hope that you're having a joyful Christmas mate! True, heavy metal is a form of rock n' roll. BUT does that make it rock n' roll? I think that we can agree on one thing though Adler, a band that inspire people to start their own band, has to be a GREAT one, right? :lol:

About the same a you mate:

Rockabilly
50's
60's
Some 70's and 80's
Surf music a' la Dick Dale and others
Blues

Give my very best to your family!

I had to cast my vote for Zep...

I think there are bands today that exceed them in terms of technical proficiency, but there are very few that are able to cover the whole range of styles, and do it with passion...

I have seen a few bands - Yes, I have seen Zeppelin, but also The Stones, Queen, Metallica, AC/DC, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden and even ZZ Top - who, by the way, are fantastic live. But if I want to sit and actually listen to some music at home, then there is always a Zep tune to match my mood, and that is why they get my vote... 8)

Oh man so hard... im stickin to ac/dc.as this thread is about rock and roll the BEST for that is for those about to rock.......FIRE(at the commies):lol:

I am currently listening to If you want blood by AC/DC.
Fantastic song and probably one of my favourites.....
I believe AC/DC's best selling album Back In Black was the Fifth highest selling album in the U.S of all time.....

I think that we can agree on one thing though Adler, a band that inspire people to start their own band, has to be a GREAT one, right? :lol:

Agreed and I dont think there is a band on that list that does not meet that catagory.

Lucky13 said:
Give my very best to your family!

Same to you my friend.

For those who posted (and didn't posted) an appreciation for Buddy Holly and Dick Dale might be interested to know this neat little factoid...

The is a highly accredited guitar school known as "G.I.T".
Bascially, you walk in knowing just enough about playing guitar to maybe play rhythm with your buddies after school and walk out as a Joe Satriani clone.

Anyway, guitar players I've known in the past say that the way they teach guitar at GIT is that the wrist is held stiff and in-line with the arm and the strumming motion actually comes from the entire forearm, thus you're bending at the elbow, not the elbow and wrist.
This is the "new" correct way of strumming. ( :rolleyes: )

That style was also used by both Holly and Dale. If you watch any footage of those guys, especially Holly, you'll see that's exactly how they're playing and its said they were the inpetus of that style of strumming.

Elvis

Correct way of strumming? That makes me laugh :lol:

I see you agree in the fact thats a load of B.S!

There is no 'correct' way in playing music. Posture and the hand on the neck is the only real areas that I see a certain attack being needed. I play shred and classical and my arm is almost still the whole time, my wrist is moving.

As far as Buddy goes it was basic blues chord proggressions, I, IV, V with the V being a leading chord back to I the songs could never end :lol:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back