Wrecks of Dutch warships have disappeared

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Marcel

rotartsinimdA
Staff
Admin
Mod
Sep 19, 2006
Dordrecht
www.redbeatband.nl
The wrecks the cruisers De Hr.Ms Ruyter and Hr.Ms Java have disappeared from the place where they were found in 2002. Both ships had a major role in the Battle of the Java sea, De Ruyter being the flagship of the fleet, in 1942 and were sunk by the Japanese. The wrecks were found in 2002. Now with the 75th birthday of the battle, divers tried to find them again, only to discover the wrecks were gone. According to the article below the impression of the hulls are clearly visible in the seabed, but the wrecks are gone. It looks like there has been a secret salvation. Can't tell you how shocked I am. These ships were war graves for hundreds of men. Hope the catch the bastards who did this.

See the google translate version of the article:
Several Dutch naval vessels destroyed during a battle in 1942 in the Java Sea in Indonesia appear on the seafloor to have disappeared.

It is about the wreck of the cruiser Hr. Ms. De Ruyter and Hr. Ms. Java and part of the destroyer Hr. Ms. Kortenaer, writes Minister Jeanine Hennis Defense Tuesday to the House.

According to the minister, there are traces found on the seabed sonar images showed the imprint of the ships. The discovery came to light during a diving expedition which was conducted in preparation for the 75th anniversary of the battle.

Allied squadron
Navy ships were wrecked on February 27, 1942, during the Battle of the Java Sea during World War II. The ships were part of an Allied squadron, with ships from the Netherlands, Britain, the United States and Australia.

The ships were to prevent the Japanese forces would occupy the Indonesian island of Java. That day also was the British destroyer HMS Jupiter under.

Karel Doorman
At the battle more than 2,200 people were killed, nine of which definitely on the Dutch side. Among the well-known Dutch Rear Admiral Karel Doorman was killed. The ships are the grave of hundreds of passengers.

American, Australian, British and Indonesian authorities were notified of the disappearance. Further research should reveal what happened to the ships that were found by amateur divers in 2002, happened.

It is likely that the ships are contained in a professional manner. Whoever is responsible for where the wrecks are located at the moment, is still unclear.

Disappearance Dutch war wrecks
wd640-o.png

At the Battle of the Java Sea more than 2,200 people were killed, nine of which definitely on the Dutch side. © Reuters
1 / 6
inviolability
Minister Hennis writes that it is very important for the survivors and relatives being traced what happened to the ships. They also emphasized the historical value of the ships for the Netherlands.

Sunken warships enjoy immunity according to Netherlands. Salvaging the wrecks without the consent of the Netherlands would be illegal therewith.

It is not the first time that the wreck of a Dutch warship is disrupted. In 2004 have surfaced previously four wrecks and in 2015 surfaced at an Australian auction parts of a Dutch submarine.

Who is responsible for these violations, the Ministry of Defence does not know.

2moxr3tany6g_std320.jpg

See also: In short: the Battle of the Java Sea 1942
comments
The War Graves Foundation has been involved fell in informing the relatives of the victims at that time in these places, responds aghast at the possible cull. "For survivors, this should be very impressive. They are all informed by letter. Further research is now being launched," said Wings.

Also, Commander Naval Forces Rob Verkerk reacts shocked. On Twitter, he says: "Loss war Javazee touches me deeply hope that surveys show what happened to the ships.."
Nederlandse oorlogswrakken lijken van bodem Javazee verdwenen

Doesn't seem likely. They should have been found in the vicinity then as it's not that deep down there. Dutch government seems to think they are secretly salvaged and sold.

if currents had shifted the wrecks, or geological activity, either would have disturbed the hull impressions on the bottom ... but these are still intact

if currents had shifted the wrecks, or geological activity, either would have disturbed the hull impressions on the bottom ... but these are still intact

yeah..i agree. I have seen storms break wrecks in half and move them great distances. had they been moved by strong currents then there should be a trail in the seabed showing them moving in a direction OR the impressions should have been wiped out. if the wrecks were salvaged there should also be some marks. I don't think someone is going to lift the entire hull off of the seafloor in one piece. there is a lot of suction holding it in place after all these years. there should be evidence of the hull being cut and sectioned. there should also be slag from cutting torches. then again they are going solely by interpretations of sonar images they need more to investigate this they need ROVs or a sub ( if its shallow enough )

There's probably more of this sh!t going on than we'd like to know. However, if there was not a thriving market for artifacts then it's possible those wrecks might still be there.

Anyone thinking of buying stuff off e-bay or specialty sites might want to ask themselves where this stuff comes from.

There's probably more of this sh!t going on than we'd like to know. However, if there was not a thriving market for artifacts then it's possible those wrecks might still be there.

Anyone thinking of buying stuff off e-bay or specialty sites might want to ask themselves where this stuff comes from.
That's right. A couple of years ago, parts from a sunken Dutch submarine were sold in Australia. So it is not the first time.
The Dutch authorities really think these wrecks are stolen. I don't think they would say that if they did not have some evidence to back that up. I still cannot imagine how that was pulled off. I mean, Dr Ruyter was 170 meters Long. Not really a small wreck.
@Bernhardt, which ship was he on?

The Soviets used the grave of the Wilhelm Gustloff in the Baltic to practice underwater demolition techniques and the wreck has been pillaged repeatedly although it is a declared gravesite. I think there is no decency in this kind of behavior:

MV Wilhelm Gustloff - Wikipedia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back