Wright Bros' Flyer: Super detailing a Guillow's kit.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Skyediamonds, you have built an incredible model. I doubt Guillows ever expected anyone to finish their kit, let alone detail it. I am also amazed how fast you work. I have built plastics and controlline models since 1954-55 and appreciate what you have done. One of our club members once wanted to build a C/L model of the Flyer but decided otherwise when he learned how difficult it would be. A side benefit is , the advice from Wurger on photo size info as I have sent them much too large. Again, great work and tell us your next project.

Special Ed,
Thank you very much for the compliments & your appraisal. They're greatly appreciated. The model actually took me almost a year to complete. Of course, it wasn't full time, but boy, it was on my mind 24/7; especially trying to figure out the crossed chain drives & rigging for wing warping. What added to the length of time trying to figure out how things went together was the tremendous amount of misinformation & even inaccuracies from so-called "authoritive sources." Perhaps my posts gave the illusion of speed? I hope to start another post on an S.E.5. I realize this is a sure centered primarily around the Second World War aircraft so I'm hesitant & would like an opinion from you guys. You too, Mr. Wurger as I respect one & all. Sincerely,
Gary

Ed,
I forgot to mention that Guillows was impressed to say the least. They even asked me to make another model for one of their customers. Must've done good to get their attention.... LoL

They asked for the Wright Flyer. Apparently, they've never seen such a model done up in such detail. I was very honored and flattered that the manufacturer themselves would ask a me to reproduce one of their kits.

Don't worry about the SE-5. There are a great many WW1 photos in the albums, most courtesy of Wurger. I'm still trying to go through them. Bring on the SE-5.

Special Ed & Mr. Wurger,
Good morning & thank you! I shall commence on my S.E.5 build thread. I think you will find much enjoyment from this one as well. Hint: I performed the stitches on the fuselage using real stitching & threads; but not in the way you might think. It's actually very easy & the needle never went through the fuselage. Skye

Gnomey,

Thank you very much! I'm starting my posting of the S.E.5. The model was completed about two years ago, so it's one of those projects that actually got finished. I also used the model as my avatar and screen saver to my server.
Sincerely,
Skye

Papa,

Thank you very much! It's always appreciated to hear from a fellow modeler who knows what's involved and just as importantly, knows what to look for. I'm now in the process of presenting my build thread on the S.E.5 which (I hope) think you'll enjoy as well It too, is from a Guillow's kit that was literally bashed into another S.E.5 that doesn't resemble anything near what the manufacturer thought it should be. Hope you'll enjoy.

I couldn't help notice you using the Northrop Gamma as your avatar. That your favorite? Are you modeling one?

Mr. Special Ed,

Thank you. Any supplements to the photos I post will be most welcomed. I lost many of them over the past few years.

Skye, my suggestion on photos is to click on "photo albums" this web site and look through them. I also suspect there is a search tab where you could put in SE-5 and get just those. I'm new to this site and am "old school" more at home with paper and pencil than computer. I lose notes but eventually find them, but when i lose it on the computer, It's in lala land forever. Also, if you google SE-5 you will get many shots ,both old and museum. I have been a model builder since the mid fifties, beginning with plastics and balsa, by 1955 control line in particular, as free flight requires more skill than I have and R/C has too much stuff involved and not as much flying and fun.

Special Ed,
Good afternoon and thank you very much for your suggestions. I'll definitely take you up on them and look for the SE5's in the photo files. During the build, I researched heavily through the Internet. From descriptions of yourself, it appears we have much in common. I too, started building models in the fifties from plastics and occasionally balsa then back to more plastics and more balsa. Just as yourself, I'll eventually find my pieces of paper and pens, but when it comes to computers, my files also, goes to that same place you called La La Land. I call this place in more graphic detail, but I'm sure you get the idea..... :0) Long story made short, I once flew a control line model at my old home located at a cul-de-sac. The control line broke after only one complete turn and the model flew into my neighbor's kitchen window. As luck would have it, it just so happens the lady of the house was cooking over her stove when the model crashed through the window, and smashed itself against the opposite wall before unsticking itself and falling down on top of the hot stove where it proceeded to melt. The engine was still running! In the meantime, I just stood there frozen, in the middle of the street whole time with my arm still extended holding onto the handle and what was left of the control lines. Needless to say, upon fleeing her home in panic, it didn't take the lady too long to find the "guilty party still standing there like a dummy with small bits and pieces of the control line still dangling from his hands. Ahhh memories...

I wouldn't mind some ancient modelling history and photos depending on the administrator's ideas on how appropriate for the thread. I still need to figure how to reduce photo size. It looks like you solved the problem by using thumbnails when submitting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back