XP-38

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JerryR

Airman
Aug 23, 2010
I am a new kid on the block (not a singer just a modeler!)

I am starting a build on a 1/32 Trumpeter backdated to an XP-38 Prototype.

I began by using the P-38 Plans for the Prototype to scratch build the small scoops this plane used, several tubes of putty later and a few choice words this is the progress so far!

Last edited:
It took me some time to figure out how to post on this site so here we go with what I have covered up to date!

Last edited:
Hi Mike and Viking Berserker!

Yes, a little experiment on Madness!!!

this is my second model, I tried (more or less sucesfully) and made a 1/32 Revell XF4U-1 I will be posting the piccies on my album of pictues!

Have a nice evening!!!

Jerry

Jerry

Found this shot in one of my books
Hope it helps

Mike

Attachments

• XP-38.JPG
    XP-38.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 192
Hi Mike! :)

Thank you kindly for the shot, I appreciate the help!

However the shot you sent me is of the YP-38 you can tell by the Radiator scoops they are larger and a taste of what the finished ones on the production P-38 where going to look like.

I am including a picture of the XP-38.

Thanks again!

Jerry

Attachments

• XP-38-orig.jpg
    XP-38-orig.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 180
Thank for all your comments to all!

Hi There Night Fighter Nut!!!

I will be trying every now and then to build a prototype, I am also interested on the different versions of the other planes, He 280, He 162, Me 262 either Versions 1 or 2 or 3 depending on the color scheme, the great 4 set volume of books on the Me 262 shows a lot of versions and I might give it a shot there too. It takes a lot of planing on the scratch building for the Prototypes but I am finding out not everybody covers this area, and it is interesting to see the planes we all know just as they were being planed and built, if anybody has pictures and plans of prototypes and/or suggestions, please let me know, I would love to give it a try! in the near future I will be re-doing the XF4U-1 that I did on a Revell Kit, but I will re-do it on a trumpeter 1/32 since it was too time cosuming working on the Revell Kit, it is a very old but nice kit just to put together out of the box, but for scratch building it does not help too much!

Enjoy your day!

Yet another picture of the original.

Jerry

Attachments

• XP-38 side view.jpg
    XP-38 side view.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 174
Well done so far Jerry.
Being a newbie myself and the fact i don't plan on building in 1/32 means i wouldn't know but are the correct engines available for transplant onto the booms or do they have to be scratchbuilt? To me thats the most obvious difference from the production models.

Jerry

Thats what you get for doing things late at night!
Took the caption on face value:oops:

I did find another magazine article with a head on shot and 3/4 view if your interested (sure its the XP-38)

Cheers
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back