Your Favorite Recipe's

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi again guys.
As far as I can make out, the potato things are called "Knödel", or "semmeknödel", depending on how and with what you make them. Anyway, that's how I found the recipe - I googled "Knödel".
But as far as I can tell, there's plenty of variants all over the world, so the name may vary, depending on what recipe from which region you're using. ;)

Semmelknödel are made out of bread not potatoes.

They are actually a traditional thing to eat in the Schwabian part of Germany where my wife comes from. Man she makes some killer ones! I can ask her for her recipe.

Last edited:
Hey
I make good porridge, does that count?

Rough-milled oatflakes
Sprinkle in ground cinnamon to personal taste
Fully-skimmed milk to personal taste

Large pool of maple syrup in the bottom of your cereal dish, pour the cooked porridge on top.

You've just pushed me to the limits of my culinary expertise

Hey Bucksnort, it's not even fattening :)

Ah porridge, or as my Mother called it Mush. I absolutely hated cooked oats when I was a kid, still not my favorite. Mom would always say "Eat your much" when I complained about my morning breakfast;)

I'm thinking which recipe I'm going to steal from this thread to make ofr the New Years Eve potluck at my buddies place? H's dip looks pretty dang good, but friends wife always make a huge platter of Guacamole/Refried bean dip so that might be overkill in the chip dip department.

Something to use up that left over Turkey. And very tasty.

Serves 4

Ingredients
butter
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
350g Arborio Risotto rice
1 large glass white wine
1 1/2 Litres chicken stock heated to simmering
A large handful of frozen peas
Cooked turkey torn into strips, no skin (I use about 250grammes)
50g Parmesan, grated

1. melt a knob of butter on high heat in a large pan with a splash of olive oil (the oil stops the butter burning), add the onion and garlic and cook until translucent. Stir in the rice until coated with the butter.

2. Add the wine and stir until evaporated. Add the stock a ladle at a time until the rice is cooked but still with a little bite, add the peas and turkey in the last 5 minutes of cooking to heat through (usually 2 ladles from the end). The rice should be creamy but firm to the bite.

3. Stir in the Parmesan

4. Serve in a large bowl eat and enjoy.

Semmelknödel are made out bread not potatoes.

They are actually a traditional thing to eat in the Schwabian part of Germany where my wife comes from. Man she makes some killer ones! I can ask her for her recipe.

I guess it depends on where in the world you are. ;)
Here it's made out of mashed potatoes mixed with dried/roasted bread crumbs, chopped-up parsley and the usual knödel ingredients.
But then again, as mentioned earlier: I guess it varies all over the world, as people have found their own ways to make a fave recipe. ;)
And yes, a recipe would be more than welcome (- curious me ;) ), so if you can get her to come up with it, it's just before I bet that there's more than one person here, who'd love to make semmelknödel. :lol:

EDIT:

Oops, an afterthought:
How about an "Aces"-dinner, consisting of food made from 1940's recipes?
English/german/american/international cook books must be available from that time period at for example flea markets and used book-dealers?

Last edited:
Oops, an afterthought:
How about an "Aces"-dinner, consisting of food made from 1940's recipes?
English/german/american/international cook books must be available from that time period at for example flea markets and used book-dealers?

According to most of the RCAF guys I've talked to from that era Brussel Sprouts was a mainstay in the UK I'll pass thanks

I guess it depends on where in the world you are. ;)
Here it's made out of mashed potatoes mixed with dried/roasted bread crumbs, chopped-up parsley and the usual knödel ingredients.
But then again, as mentioned earlier: I guess it varies all over the world, as people have found their own ways to make a fave recipe. ;)
And yes, a recipe would be more than welcome (- curious me ;) ), so if you can get her to come up with it, it's just before I bet that there's more than one person here, who'd love to make semmelknödel. :lol:

There are differnet kinds of knödel. Semmelknödel is made of bread. Semmel is a German word for a type of bread. Kartoffelknödel (most of the time just called knödel) are the ones made of potatoes. In Germany they are also known as Klöße.

If you look at this link, the top picture is of Semmelknödel which are made of bread.

Klöße - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After the New YearI will certainly post up some of my recipes as well some good German and European recipes I have.

Up until 1972, my favorite receipe was 2 jiggers of gin, preferably Beefeater's, in a glass with four ice cubes, filled
to about an inch from the top with ginger ale......

Now, like evangilder, I am a friend of Bill's.

Charles

I posted this one in the Beer thread. Use Fosters if you can get it, it's the only thing Fosters is good for. This needs a good hops flavor for the gravy. I AM gonna try some of these posted, you betcha!

3 to 4 pound brisket or "silverside" fat trimmed
2 onions sliced to 6mm - 1/4" thick
1/2 Cup chili sauce, mild or Hhot if you like it that way!
2 Table spoons brown sugar
1 clove garlic, minced
12 oz can Fosters, I used Hamms in the states
(the beer is critical-for the hop flavor, I've tried them al
and believe me, most are too girly.)
2 Table spoons flour

Season brisket w/ salt-pepper. Place in deep baking dish and cover with onion slices. Combine all but flower and pour over brisket. Cover with aluminium foil. Bake 350C for 3-1/2 hours. Uncover, baste for 1/2 hour more. Blend flour with 1/2 C water and cook up with drippings in baking dish for gravy!

Garlic mashed potatoes goes osogood with this. And any vegy your wife insists on.

Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back