1/24 Guillow's "Fairchild 24"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ccheese

Member In Perpetuity
Jul 10, 2007
Virginia Beach, Va.
Hi Lads:
I noted that (among others) I have two of these Guillow's balsa/tissue models of the "Fairchild 24" in my stash, so I thought I would start one of them. My intentions are to do this one with red wings tail ass'y and a white fuselage. I'm going to purchase colored wrapping tissue from The Halmark Store, cover the aircraft with the tissue, then coat the tissue with Johnson's "Pledge". There will be no paint, except for surfaces like wings braces, landing gear struts, etc. As this is not entered into a GB, I can take my sweet time with this, and hopefully make a nice job of it. BTW, I'm told this is one of Eric Van Gilder's favorite aircraft !!

The plans are so big I am making Xerox copies of the sections I need for construction.

A bit of history on the "Fairchild 24": The Fairchild Model 24, is a four-seat, single-engine monoplane light transport aircraft that was used by the United States Army Air Corps as the UC-61 and by the Royal Air Force. The Model 24 was itself a development of previous Fairchild models and became a successful civil and military utility aircraft.

Charles

Attachments

• DSCN0377.JPG
    DSCN0377.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 369
  • DSCN0378.JPG
    DSCN0378.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 337
Sounds good Charles, especially the use of coloured tissue. I might be teaching granny to suck eggs, but test the 'Pledge', or any other clear coat, on the tissue before covering the model, just in case the dyes in the paper are affected, and run or diffuse.
BTW, is this the forerunner of the Fairchild Argus?

Don't know if I could ever pick a favorite airplane, but the Fairchild 24 is pretty cool. They have been working on restoring one, on and off for a few years in Camarillo. They did an engine run about 5 years ago and I thought it must be getting close, then the PT-19 blew an engine and they took it from the 24. Then the crew chief on the project had some family issues, so it's not been worked on for a while, sadly. If you take your time with it, Charles, it'll get done before the one in Camarillo, sadly.

Got the fuselage sides pinned down. Hope to get most of the fuselage done today.

This method of construction uses the old "box type" method. The "keel method" is much better.

Charles

Attachments

• DSCN0379.JPG
    DSCN0379.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 357
The keel method is easier, to be sure. But this box method gives a more realistic look. At least to my eye.
Looks like another stunner, Charles!

BTW, is this the forerunner of the Fairchild Argus?

I honestly do not know, Terry. But, for you, Mate, I will find out.

I'm having a problem with the extremely soft balsa on this model. I've cut out five fuselage formers, and broke three of them.
If it continues, I'm going to call Guillow's.

Edit: From what I have been able to find out, the Fairchild "Argus" was a Fairchild 24 used by the Brits. There was also a Fairchild Argus II, and a Fairchild Argus III, each with a different engine.

From Wiki: "The Fairchild Model 24 had been in production in the USA since 1932, as a comfortable 4-seater, but was quickly subject to a wartime order for the US Forces as the UC-61, and proved to be an excellent communications and utility machine. It was powered either by a Warner Scarab radial engine (this machine was called the Argus II in RAF parlance) or the Ranger L-440 inverted 4-cylinder inline engine of 200hp (the Argus III); it was the latter which was the main version used by the ATA."

Charles

Last edited:
Looking good.

As far as these balsa formers are concerned.. I would make these main of the spruce or pine wood. These are more resistant to break.

Thanks for the info Charles.
I remember now seeing photos of the in-line engined version in RAF service, as well as a restored example some years back. It's the radial-engined variant I'm more familiar with, like this one at the RAF Museum, Cosford.

Attachments

• Cosford 363.jpg
    Cosford 363.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 315
Terry, the above pic is an Argus II, with a radial engine, methinks.

I'm done for the day, and I have the fuselage all ready for stringers. I don't usually do this, but I am actually following the instructions as written in the plans. I usually "find my own way" thru a build.

The first pic is the exacting (and cumbersome) way of attaching the nose pieces, B-1 and B-2. The second pic is as she now sits, waiting for me to start putting on the stringers. Thanks for looking.

Charles

Attachments

• DSCN0380.JPG
    DSCN0380.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 329
  • DSCN0382.JPG
    DSCN0382.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 334
Hi Lads.... Didn't get too much done on the "24" today. It was a nice day, in the high 60s (F), so I had things to do outside.

I did get the stringers on the top and both sides of the fuselage, tonight. First order of business, tomorrow, is to bend the landing gear wire and install it. Then install the rubber motor. After that I can put the bottom stringers on. After that... according to the instructions.... I can construct the tail ass'y.
Pic's tomorrow, if I have something to show for my efforts.

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back