1/32 RNZAF A4K Skyhawk

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

109ROAMING

2nd Lieutenant
May 25, 2008
New Zealand
Hey fellas, been away from the bench for a while

Finally got my A into G with this build , Been meaning to start for months but continually been busy with other things

Made a start last sunday , haven't been able to do much til today due to 12 hour + days at work earlier in the week

Heres the progress so far , basic cockpit. Not alot to the kit so fuse went together pretty quick along with wings etc . RNZAF birds had a squared off tail so have that puttied up awaiting drying-sanding. Last thing to get done tonight was getting the canopy masked

Thanks to Wayne for getting me some decals from Ozzy Land , Thanks again mate
Waiting for some more decals to arrive , can then decide on a scheme . Will be a later model A4-K , Post Kahu bird. For those who don't know what that means , in the late 80's early 90's the RNZAF upgraded our A4's which included major avionics upgrades ( Headsup display etc ) Wing re-sparring, and up-grading of landing gear and control surfaces.

Some shots. Painting tomorrow , more shots then. 3 Tone camo should be interesting....

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 222
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 216
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 230
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 222
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Great start Daniel!
Interesting info too, didn't know we resparred the wings and upgraded the u/c and surfaces.

Small detail, but the T-shaped (IFF I think) antenna on the stbd side u/c fairing was repositioned to the port side fairing on kiwi A4s.

Looking forward to further progress!

Small detail, but the T-shaped (IFF I think) antenna on the stbd side u/c fairing was repositioned to the port side fairing on kiwi A4s.

Thanks for the info mate , bit late now as all the painting's done but note taken for future Kiwi A4's , bound to be a few :)

Would have photos but memory cards died , 90% complete . Just decals , mounting and a few little bits and bob's ya uncle

Cheers guys

Been through abit of bother lately

Masked and painted the red lines on the wings indicating the ' No walk zones' well.....upon removal of the masking tape Yesterday results showed the paint seaped under the masking tape and had ruined the paint job on the wings . Required a full repaint took about 2 hours , highly frustrating but a good lesson learn't . Repainted all's well

Then Today....Mother nature decided to F with me

Woke up to a 5.5 magnitude aftershock , checked the A4 and all was okay. Went down the road to the shops , sent some stuff at post shop etc. Came home and a 6.0 Hit , House is a mess again and needless to say the Skyhawk is damaged , port wing snapped off , port slat snapped , bits missing , bits of paint chipped. Base was damaged.... FAR!!!! . Bloody sick of these F'n Earthquakes . Got power back about an hour ago , water not yet back on

Looking at the positive tho , Family's all okay and the model is repairable . Although it will be a few days before I can get any shots up

Cheers Fellas :D

Last edited:
With Peter!!!

Bloody hell mate, that is NOT good to hear. I heard about a month back yas'd had about 5000 aftershocks since February, must be much more now!

Really hope you and the family are okay in any case, thoughts and prayers with yas!

Hey Cheers guys

Decals arrived yesterday , still getting the wing sorted out . Not far off though

With Peter!!!

Bloody hell mate, that is NOT good to hear. I heard about a month back yas'd had about 5000 aftershocks since February, must be much more now!

Really hope you and the family are okay in any case, thoughts and prayers with yas!

Yeah mate , some insane figure . Tho most you don't notice . Felt maybe 100 odd

Just glad I'm not one of these poor buggers with a driveway full of mud.

Will get some photos up of what roads are like etc around here , Grandmother's house 5 mins from our place has been written off

looking forward to seeing your pics mate.....! glad all is well....for now at least...

Yeah mate , bloody unstable bit of country . 2 4.4 and a 4.5 today , shook things up abit

Anyway an update on the A4

Got the decals as mentioned . Fixed up the wing , had to use alot of putty cause it wasn't too clean a split

Took ages to dry , finally got it painted . Still not 100% happy with it , may redo dark green on port wing again. Couple shots of the build as it is at the moment

Stuck the exhaust on , cause I'm mounting it 'Airborne' , I've filled 1/3 of the fuselage with glue to hold the little exhaust in place. 48 hours later its still not dry

Bit pissed everythings taking so long , cold weather things taking ages to dry. Decals taking ages to show up , not to mention the damn shakes. Gets old quick

Will be glad once its done :)

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 181
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 200
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 187
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 173
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 200
Looking very good Daniel. You filled part of the fuselage with glue? Hope it doesn't melt through the plastic mate !
Maybe the Govt should fill the country with concrete - might stop the shakes !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back