1:32 scale Lancaster Mk.1 Hachette Partworks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wouldn't mind seeing it myself, he said, casually flipping through the brochure for ferry timetables ...........

Thanks Guys, your comments are always appreciated. Terry, thanks for those shots, there's some good detail there of finish and cables. The wear on the spar cover is probably the most extreme I've seen. Don't sweat about the electrical distributor. I've got a good reference for that in the Haynes Lancaster manual.

Evan, good to hear you might be on your way. Hope it works out for you but help in touch anyhow. The build is still a long way off being a tourist attraction but when it's done I may well take it on tour, if I can find a van big enough!

Cheers,

Gerry

I can just see it - a modified Ford Transit, Dark Green and Dark Earth on top, Black sides, red codes either side of the RAF roundel, and of course, a tail turret where the rear doors should be!!
The wear on the spar cover is probably due to age, and use. The aircraft served with the French Aeronavale for some years, and then did a world tour on survey work, stood out in the open at Blackpool for years, before spending many years on the gate at Scampton. It was then bought by Harold and Fred Panton, who began the long restoration, hopefully culminating in seeing her airborne.
Just tonight, I learned the sad news that Fred passed away suddenly on Sunday 9th June.
R.I.P. Fred, you'll be missed.

Condolences on Fred's passing Terry.

Gerry, I was just now able to find time to flip back though the last few posts. Your work on this model is truly remarkable and you ought to be very proud of what you've done to date. I'm really looking forward to your next progress pics. It seems you've got some pretty good reference help as well!

Condolences from here too...

Gerry, thanks mate! Will be great to be able to finally catch up with you and (hopefully) Keith soon, not to mention all those English yobbos over the ditch there! :)
We're looking to live in either Carrick on Shannon or Sligo btw, initially for 6 months to a year, longer if things work out. Will know next week if we go.

Last edited:
A quick off topic:- Anyone heard from Keith (Muller)? I sent an e-mail some time ago, and haven't heard back, but last time he looked in he did say that internet connection was cr@p where he now lives.
And back to the Lanc thread.

Terry, sent him an e-mail ages ago too, but likewise never heard back. I presume he's either really busy, our e-mails are going to the spam bin, or his provider just isn't the best. (Sat TV and Internet reception aren't always the best in Ireland - skyping with the old man is like talking to Max Headroom at best...)

Who is your provider btw Gerry? Do you have any trouble with the net?

My condolences on Fred's passing, Terry. And Terry, I've just nicked you patent for that van design! Thanks also to Andy, Evan, David Meatloaf for continuing to look in on my progress.

As regards (Keith) Muller, I was aware of some posts by him at around the time I joined the forum. However, I've never had direct contact with him and I don't think he ever posted to any of my threads and I certainly have not seen any recent posts from him. I'm also a member of the IPMS Ireland forum and I don't believe he's been active on that either. I'll make some enquiries at our next meeting to see if anyone in the society knows him.

As regards internet connections here, as I'm in Dublin, I've got 50mb fibre optic broadband from UPC, our local cable provider. Nationwide, I know that Telecom (our landline phone provider) are upgrading their broadband offerings, to compete and Sky are currently promoting a TV, broadband, phone bundle nationwide also.

As regards progress on the build, I've stepped away from the really intense detail of the cabin for a bit and am doing some therapeutic 'follow the instructions' assembly of wing parts at present, for a rest. I'll post some shots when I'm a bit more advanced.

Cheers,

Gerry

Sounds good Gerry.
When Keith last visited the forum, he mentioned he'd moved house , (I think to the top of a hill?), and said that Internet connection was terrible, as was TV. Can't remember where he moved to though, and i only have his previous details. Would be good to see him back though.

Sure would... He is also a great modelmaker Gerry, you'd really like his work I reckon.

Thanks for the provider info too. Not sure who my dad's with, but it's pretty bad. He cancelled his Sky sport subscription too because the signal continuously died (he's in Westmeath)

Thanks Guys. Just to keep the thread ticking over here's what I've been up to since my last post.

Porttrailingedge_zpsca96b36d.jpg

Photo 1. The port wing inner trailing edge. Straightforward enough, except for (A). Here, instead of drilling grooves for the stringers and inserting them before the end spar is attached we are asked to cut and paste the stringers between the ribs, 27 pieces in all - then they all have to be lined up! Took forever. Someone didn't think this one through.

flarechutestep1_zpsb1d88bb2.jpg

Flarechutestep_zps037fdae3.jpg

Photos 2 3. The flare chute step we were discussing a few posts back. This consists of eight parts with the smaller brass instructions plaque to be added when painted. This again was quite fiddly to line up with the angles correct, when in position. In fact, after following the instructions, it had to be disassembled and reassembled in position, to get it to look right. I ended up making the top of the box from plastic card as it looked a lot better than the part supplied. Photo 3 shows it dry fitted in position but it will be removed and separately painted before final fitting.

Lancassembly1_zpsa689e9da.jpg

Photo 4. Finally, the model, roughly assembled, to where we are now. (A) is the trailing edge. the bottom of the flaps is attached later in the assembly. (B) is the chute/step dry fitted. Nothing else has been added to the front cabin since my last post.

I think now, that the rest of the fuselage sections need to be partially stringed and painted so that they're ready for the next lot of sub-assemblies to be added as they are completed. That's what I'll be concentrating on next.

'Till the next time,

Gerry

Last edited:
Beautiful work Gerry, and I'm not jealous of your possession - honest! (Slouches off muttering under his breath...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back