1:32 scale Lancaster Mk.1 Hachette Partworks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No trouble at all Gerry. The museum was hosting a Dambusters Day so I was heading down anyway. I'll post a few pics in a separate thread when I get a minute.

Great information guys. I think the speakers are for making airplane noises. :)

...or for playing the Dambusters March?...

Anyhow, I'm back in the saddle on this build now, albeit after a bit of a slow start as there were some non-connected things I needed to sort out when I got back to Dublin. I've gone through the next tranche of magazines and can see that, interspersed with more structural work on the fuselage and wings, there are a lot of interior equipment sub-assemblies which need to be completed. These are recommended to be put aside for later installation but I think I could start to add them from now. Before I can do this, I need to string at least the port fuselage and do some basic painting, before they can be added. This is what I'm working on at present. It's basic and not particularly visually interesting but as soon as I begin to add the equipment I'll post some photos.

In the meantime, Cheers,

Gerry

My progress on this has been slower than I had hoped. As I said previously, the kit supplies a lot of the internal fuselage detailing, but it's only when you begin to put it together you realise just how much isn't included. The main cabin, which I am currently working on, has no detail on either the pilot's sidewall or the starboard wall, apart from the engineer's panel and electrical junction panel. So it was back to the references, some of which were supplied by Terry and show the sidewalls in some detail. Then it was to the scraps box and spare bits box to scratch-build something that resembles the actual cabin. Then I needed to trawl through various issues of the magazine to make sure that I wasn't going to put in something prematurely, that would have to be removed later.

Anyway here are some photos of my latest efforts. Any scratch-build additions are indicated in red. I have tried to rely on photographs, where possible, for my additions.

Pilotscabinprimer_zpsae236b75.jpg

Photo 1. I started by stringing the port side of the cabin - a slow and tedious process. I'm still trying to leave as much unstrung as long as possible, for ease of access. Putting pressure on the tops of the formers has caused me problems also. I managed to break the two formerS 'D' above the longerons. These are held in position by cocktail sticks for priming, as I decided that it will be easier to fit the radio operator's seat with these missing. In fact, I've discovered it would be impossible to instal the seat with them in place! 'A' is panelling for the starboard wall made from spare aluminium sheet. 'B' Some wiring looms added before painting. 'C' is the main spar cover previously installed but left unprimed - as most of the final coat is worn down to the bare metal, in patches, in some of my reference photos.

Pilotssidewallprimercopy_zpsdb34639e.jpg

Photo 2. Scratch-building some detail to the port wall by the pilot's seat. As you can see, it's made from many scraps and tied together with a coat of primer. The two boxes at the base are VHF sets. It's designed to slot together with another part of the panel which was already positioned.

Pilotsplatform_zpsc66f0144.jpg

Photo 3. Here you can see the pilot's platform and side panels. 'A' is the rear face of the starboard panelling. 'B' Wiring looms made from picture framing wire, which comes pre-twisted. 'C' is the panel shown previously, mated with a piece of scrap fuselage wall 'D', which matches some of the instruments on the Lanc. these will be tied together further with more wire, cables and instruments after painting. The loose masking on the pilot's console is to leave the surface paint-free for good adhesion of the control panel, when added.

At this stage this section is ready for a coat of black, after which I can start adding the instrument console and other pre-assembled panels. These will be added hopefully in parallel with further progress on the remaining build, adding further detail as I come across it.

That's about it for now. I'll post some more shots, in a few days, when I have the pre-assembled elements installed.

Sláinte,

Gerry

Nicely done Gerry. As you mentioned, the more the build progresses, the more difficult it'll be to add internal detail. Looking forward to the next stage.

I've got an actual Lancaster, WWII survivor

You're going to have to elaborate on that a bit more, Jan - I'm intrigued.

Thanks to everyone else for all the positive comments, they keep me going. I've got a fair amount of refs for the interior but, as you know, it's always that bit outside the photo that shows the pipes/instruments you're actually detailing! If anyone spots anything in my posts that's not right I'd be happy for any refs to put me back on the right track. I do have some questions, going forward, which I'll get your opinions on in my next post.

I've got a coat of black on the cabin now and have started to add some of the instruments, which is really satisfying. I should be able to post some photos of progress before the weekend.

Gerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back