1:32 scale Lancaster Mk.1 Hachette Partworks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks to all for your latest complimentary posts. I have to admit that I was pleased myself how the last set of assemblies turned out. This has not always been the case on other aspects of this build. I now need to get them into position without breaking or damaging anything.

Terry, thanks for your reference for the bomb sight and clarification on the drift sight. I did think it was in an unusual position, looking downwards, for an astro compass. At least I now know what it is. It's a shame that the reference books such as the SAM manual get such important details wrong. I would tend to rely heavily on a published source and would have remained ignorant had you not pointed it out. Another plus for this forum and your expertise!

Sláinte,

Gerry

You're welcome Gerry.
In the SAM Mosquito book, there are quite a few photo captions which are totally wrong - some of them disgracefully so. For example, there are two or three photos of a Mosquito raid and the aftermath, with the captions stating it's the Gestapo records office in Holland - the Hague I think, in 1944 , from memory. The photos are actually the attack under way, and the target burning, and it's Shell House, Copenhagen, in March 1945 !
There are also some photos where the wrong Mark of Mosquito is quoted, and so on.
Might seem trivial, but in years to come, these errors can, and probably will, be compounded, with future authors very probably taking the information as fact, until the time comes when the historic and technical facts will be a totally corrupted.
There really is no excuse for this sort of thing, especially when access to an aircraft, for photographic purposes, generally involves a member of the museum or operating staff being present, when a simple question should elicit the correct information, or at least point the author/photographer in the right direction in which to obtain the required information.

My pet hate!!! A friend of mine was researching an ancient text for his doctorate. He found details of the "standard "references (four) to a certain happening, which had been quoted for hundreds of years as multiple authorities and therefore proof, that the happening had occurred and was a matter of historical fact. He was the first to discover that ALL four references had themselves been drawn from a SINGLE earlier source which had itself been discredited in most or all of its detail as the worst kind of tabloid press of its time.

So something as simple as a crap photo caption can actually have a profound effect on "history".

How often is "Operation Chastise" quoted in a contemporary context....when, if memory serves, it wasn't even called that until AFTER the event!!

Thanks gentlemen for your latest observations. I have to confess that I've got sidetracked into a group build for my local modelling society that took up more time than I had anticipated. I assumed that I could keep both builds going simultaneously but found out that I can't walk and chew gum at the same time. Also I've been fighting off a winter bug for the last week or so and that slowed things down as well.

Anyhow I'm back on the Lanc and am trying to get the main cabin completed. The trouble is that I keep seeing new bits in reference shots that I feel I need to include and that also slows up progress. Here's what I've managed to get done since my last post.

Cabinpump_zps090cfc2a.jpg

I'm concentrating on getting the area around the pilot's platform finished. A is the pump and lines along with the grey wheel above it. I found the refs for these in the SAM Lancaster manual. B is the manual windscreen de-icing pump by the control column, although it's not likely to be seen once the seat is installed.

Cabinparachute_zps95519d45.jpg

cabintrimwheel_zpsb2e12426.jpg

Two other angles on the same area. A is the pilot's (or flight engineer's) parachute stowed at the side of the navigator's table. B is the pump again and C the installed trim wheel assembly. The second photo shows the trim wheel assembly from the reverse angle and you can just see the drift sight installed to the right of the shot.

Driftsight_zpsa0920d58.jpg

A better angle showing A, the drift sight and B, the oxygen economiser opposite the navigator's table. They look a bit stark but stringers will eventually be added behind them. There's also the top of the former to be replaced between A B.

Radioboxes_zpsb5d8a4d1.jpg

A is the radio operator's oxygen economiser with a couple of extra electrical boxes to the right. The top of the rear former still has to be reinstated. The curved yellow cable will run into the next section through the holes in the formers.

Finally, the pilot's seat has been installed with plumbing at its base but I can't get an angle that shows that up well. I hope you'll agree that the cabin is acquiring a busy look that mirrors the real thing. You can also see in these final two photos the small instrument panel lights on either side of the panel.

CabinPort_zpse88f843e.jpg

Cabinsboard_zps85098ad3.jpg

I think that's most the equipment installed in this section. There are still some more cables to be installed, then the formers need to be fixed and stringers attached to hang a final box over the navigator's table along with a cabin light. I'm actually away now for a week or so and when I get back, hope to get that finished and balance the group build with tackling the bomb aimer's position as my next task.

Will keep you posted as to progress.

Cheers,

Gerry

Last edited:
Thanks Terry, Wurger, David, Andy, Bill and pbehn for your very positive reactions to that last set of posts.

Terry, no I hadn't intended installing working lighting. I have seen a build of the same kit where someone attempted to do so and was going to put the batteries or transformer in an external fuel truck. Channelling the cable proved to be a problem and I also would have worries about the 'scale realism' of this. Also, it might just be outside my level of competence.

Pbehn, welcome to the thread. It's the intention to have substantial cutaways on the starboard fuselage and wing etc. but I haven't got near to the skinning yet.

Cheers,

Gerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back