1:32 scale Lancaster Mk.1 Hachette Partworks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

great stuff Gerry. regarding the oxygen bottle baskets, there was one by, or near, each crew station, although they're not always immediately visible, and i believe exact location could vary, depending on internal equipment fit.
I have a line drawing showing all emergency equipment locations, but I can't get to it at the moment, as I'm in the process of re-arranging my library and display cabinets. However, from memory, the bomb aimers bottle was on the starboard wall, aft of the bomb selection panels and near the glycol tank step. The W/Op was either on the front of the spar, below the seat, or on the port wall, below the table. Mid upper gunner adjacent to the turret on the port wall, rear gunner near the parachute pack stowage, interior side of armoured doors, on the starboard wall.

It's a beut' of a model you are making there. I am about to start working on a 1:32 Short Stirling (vac formed) and am in need of the turrets. Both the Stirling and Lancaster used almost identical turrets.
I can get back issues of parts and magazines for the Lancaster from ebay. I cannot find a list of which of the 125 issues of the Lancaster kit had the turret pieces and guns.
Can you tell me which editions dad the gun parts and fairing for the upper turret?
Much obliged.

Peter Sinclair

Welcome to the nut house Pete - I'm sure Gerry will be along at some time to answer your question. Meanwhile, I look forward to seeing your work on the Stirling, which, in that scale, should be very impressive.
If for whatever reason you are unable to get the required back-issues, you could always mould the turrets from clear sheet.

Thanks once again everybody, for your continued interest and support.

Superb detailing Gerry. Sorry I have no answer for you on additional nets but surely there must have been provision for O2 for all crew members.

That was my take on it as well Andy, but not having seen them in photos, I just wanted to double check. Your conclusion is also supported by Terry's post. After I saw that, I Googled 'Lancaster emergency equipment' and came up with the image below, which I think may be the one Terry referred to in his post. It's on the RAF Museum, Hendon site and the jpeg won't enlarge without blurring but I think that the green cylinders are the oxygen baskets and that would confirm Terry's thoughts.

0014389_zps243579ea.jpg

Peter, welcome to the forum and good luck with your Stirling build. I hope you post your progress on the forum. I've done a little digging and here's what I found: Front turret and guns, issue 118. Rear turret and guns, issue 124. Dorsal turret, issues 119, 120, 121. The only part in 119 is the 'teardrop' turret surround fairing, which you won't need for the Stirling, so forget that. The photo below is the components from issues 120 121. My take on the Stirling dorsal turret is that it is a very different shape than the Lanc's, taller and more like a shark's fin so you'll probably need a vac form canopy there.

Topturretcomponents_zps15411b72.jpg

Just a final word of warning on the rear turret. I had to re-order that issue (124) three times (4 copies in all) because each time it arrived in the post, the perspex canopy was cracked or broken. I still don't have an undamaged canopy, as I gave up after the fourth attempt. As far as I can see from other forums, not one person I've seen has admitted to receiving an intact rear canopy. I'm beginning to suspect that the canopies may have been shipped already broken, but am willing to stand corrected if that is not the case. The other issue is the gun barrels. I intend to replace mine with brass barrels, as the plastic ones supplied, while OK, don't have the depth of detail of brass ones.

Hope that's of some help. If there's anything else I can help with please let me know.

Cheers,

Gerry

Good stuff Gerry. That's a similar diagram to the one I have, but mine is the original, monochrome drawing, from the Pilot's Notes I believe.
Re the Stirling mid-upper turret - the Mk1 had the tall turret, like a Bishop's mitre, as used on the Sunderland, but the MkIII and later had the FN Lancaster-type turret, with the 'taboo track', although this was a slightly different shape to the fairing on the Lanc.

Thanks for that clarification on the Stirling Marks Terry. My memories are of the Mk.1, obviously. As soon as I googled 'Stirling, Photos' I could see the differences you mentioned.

:oops: Gerry

You know this build is pretty damn poor and seen better! Because of this and when its finally finished you won't be
happy with it! Trust me you won't!! I will pay you £25 delivery costs and when its finished donate it to me please.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Keep on it mate, It's looking superb.

I'll give £30 delivery costs, a £1 tip, and a few beers !!
If that doesn't clinch it, I'll throw in a stunning 22 year old virgin as well.
And now you know I'm talking b*ll*cks, as finding even a virgin in my town is like discovering rocking horse poo, and stunning ? Only by the punch delivered by a newbie, trainee , light weight Hippocroccofrog, weighing in at a mere 200 Pounds - the slim variety !!!

Build, aircraft, detail, aircraft, build, detail, aircraft build, aircraft, detail, aircraft, build, detail, aircraft build, aircraft, build, detail, aircraft build, build, aircraft, detail, aircraft, build, detail, aircraft build, aircraft, detail, aircraft, build, detail, aircraft build, build, aircraft, detail, aircraft, build, detail, aircraft build, aircraft, detail, aircraft, build, detail, aircraft build, build, aircraft, detail, aircraft, build, detail, aircraft build, stunning 22 year old virgin, aircraft, build, detail, aircraft build, build, aircraft, detail, aircraft, build, detail, aircraft build, aircraft, detail, aircraft, build, detail, aircraft build, build, aircraft, detail, aircraft, build, detail, aircraft build, aircraft, detail, aircraft, build, detail, aircraft build, build, aircraft, detail, aircraft, build, detail, aircraft build, aircraft, build, detail, aircraft build, build, aircraft, detail, aircraft, build, detail, aircraft build, aircraft, detail, aircraft, build, detail, aircraft build, build, aircraft, detail, aircraft, build, detail, aircraft build, aircraft, detail, aircraft, build, detail, aircraft build,

Ummmm...what was the middle one again:?:

OK..... NOW I'm awake.

:lol::lol:

This might be a little easier for you to read. It's the same pic as yours but a tad bigger

Lanc 3.jpg
Lanc 2.jpg
Lanc 1.jpg

These were from Haynes Avro Lancaster Owners Workshop Manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back