1/32 Tamiya P-51D MUSTANG (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Found these. Look like NMF....

jerry.JPG
jerry1.JPG
jerry2.JPG

Geo

No doubting thta's bare metal, as is the bulkhead and other fittings - very unusual for a service aircraft, and I'm wondering if it's a publicity, manual, or brochure shot, as some of those pics in the SS Walk Around appear to be. I'll post the colour pics shortly, showing the ZC on aircraft being serviced in the UK in 1944.

As promised, here are the colour photos. The last (B&W) shot, is from the SS 'Walk Around' book, a NAA photo, and is shown below the photo stating that the tank is bare metal, and the firewall yellow ZC. In this photo, there is a definite tonal difference between the surrounding bare metal areas, and the engine bearers, and I'd suggest yellow ZC also. Note that clearly seen in the P-51B photo, the firewall is green ZC, or Interior Green, more likely the former.
I think it would be unusual to have an important vessel such as the oil tank left in bare metal, rather than some form of protective coating, and the three colour shots support this, but, as with many things, it's possible there were exceptions.

Attachments

• Can Jan 794.jpg
    Can Jan 794.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 192
  • Can Jan 795.jpg
    Can Jan 795.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 175
  • Can Jan 796.jpg
    Can Jan 796.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 189
  • Mustang tank.jpg
    Mustang tank.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 219
Don't know if you have all these. Between all of them there should be no question how this thing was built.
Somewhere I have something on factory paint requirements, and the oil tank was ZCG.
All the seams were filled on the wings, cept around the gun bay. I'll keep looking for the paint details.

Hope these help.

Attachments

• p51filling panel joins.jpg
    p51filling panel joins.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 198
  • P51_general assys.pdf
    16 MB · Views: 127
  • P-51D Part 1.pdf
    46.3 MB · Views: 195
  • P-51D Part 2.pdf
    29.2 MB · Views: 85
  • P-51D Parts Catalogue.pdf
    17.5 MB · Views: 88
Thanks Austin. I got ahead of myself and sprayed the firewall and oil tank interior green I used the Tamiya call out of XF-3 2parts and XF-5 1part.

002_zps52a7c609.jpg

Very nice work. I am enjoying watching this build. You just may get me to pull mine off the shelf soon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back