1/350 USS Princeton CVL-23 - Unofficial GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks! It'll be a long wait I'm afraid as I'll going back to this build on and off.

The upper and lower hull have been glued together and there's really nothing to show - just working the seam so it disappears. Also done was addition of the glazing to the bridge which was simply accomplished by running a dab of Testors Clear Parts Cement around the frames. I had to angle the island just so to allow the clear parts to reflect the light.

16110301.jpg

Also added were some scratch-built tarps. One acts as a sun shade over the bridge, seen below in blue and two more were added around the railings on the next level, seen best in the photo above.

16110302.jpg

The tarps on the rails can be seen in this photo on the day Princeton was hit.

220661531_3719d72b7c_o.jpg

My Princeton was never far from my workbench and, with my Beaufighter having been squirted with Future and "unserviceable", I came back to this kit and did a bit of work.

I gave the hull a final sanding to smooth out the last few bumps and divots that remained and then got on with adding a few details. The bit of PE work that you see in the below two pics is on the port side just above the armour belt. The first pic shows the paravane platform which is a complete replacement of the kit parts using the WEM detail set. You can just make out the paravane itself on the front of the platform. This unit in itself has 5 individual PE components on it and all of this took a couple of afternoons to complete.

17013001.jpg
17013002.jpg

I can only do this kind of stuff in small doses so have set this project aside again for a bit.

I know how to do the water effect if you need to know. I just did it with a model ship I build recently based on an article in fine scale modeler. I'll post a picture of what I built when I can.

Thanks guys. Bill, I'd be interested in seeing those.

Robert, the platform stairs have a fold for the landing, each stringer/handrail, and each step. The work reported in the last update was about 3 to 4 hours if I recall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back