1/48 fm halifax.... guess who's back !!!!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It was the Airfix Hampden Mk.I in 1:72. I made it in 1985 in a hotel room while my parent's were getting divorced, and painted it at some friends' place where we stayed for a week after the trials.
I got the kit again in 1999 in Austria, which is STILL awaiting it's transformation from Mk.I to (RNZAF)TB.Mk.I status!

Nice :D.I also remember one of my first plastic kits ,which was assembled in a hotel room as well.It was Mi-6 of Plasticard ( former DDR East Germany firm).I don't remember the year but it was during my holidays in Polish mountains.I was nine or ten at that time I think.

aup A4K and wurger ! whats all this then ! making models in a hotel room :oops: are you sure you couldn't have done something a bit more exciting :lol: i hope you wern't planing on launching it out of the balcony window :shock:

ian.

Rather no, we weren't but a great modeller is able to make a model of everything and everywhere and everytime.

Simply EEE rule. :lol: :lol:

My first models were a 1/72 P47D, Wildcat, P-40 and a Zero. They were on sale for 50 cents. No interior details and the canopies were foggy or white. I miss those prices.

DBII

only just last week one young friend of my son saw me modeling and asked me what it was ! i showed him the model and how i put it together with glue and paint, he's never ever seen or heard about plastic models !!.

just goes to show that it is a dying hobby !!, damn computer games/PC's/mobile phones.

ian.

ps my first model was the tiny 1/72 airfix spit' and i've still got it, built it in 1978

just goes to show that it is a dying hobby !!, damn computer games/PC's/mobile phones.

Hum..I cannot agree with you,I'm afraid.I agree this kind of kid's interests are very popular now but there are young people who are really interesting in our hobby.Of course it can depend on a country but if you look around much carefully you will find these young guys.On the other hand the kids' parents should be to blame for that situation.

I honestly don't remember the first model. I'm pretty sure it was a Monogram 1/48 scale Spitfire. That would have been back in the early 70's. I built a lot of the Monogram 1/48 scale kits and they were no big deal compared to what's out now. The nicest kit I remember was the P-61. It had lots of unheard of then detail.
Then I got hung up on 1/72 scale.

My very first model was a paper Space Shuttle in atleast 1:72 - it was huge and superbly detailed with full cockpit interior and payload bay...(I was 10, before then insect collecting and dinosaurs were the craze)
A few paper models later (including home made and designed space-craft) I got my first plastic model: the Airfix 1:72 P-51D Mustang in Major P.E Preddy's markings- I was hooked for life!!!

My first was a supermarket special I think. Really basic spitfire. First solo and proper kit was a minicraft He 111 in 1/144,

My first model didn't existed any more but the second is still in my collection.I re-painted it some years ago and it looks pretty nice now.

It is a PZL P-11c of very old firm which during 70's was selling newpapers,magazines,cigarettes,soap,toys and many other goods.The firm is still existing but its "face" is a bit different today.But they occupy still the same.

Here some pics I took some a couple years ago.

Attachments

• PZL P11C.JPG
    PZL P11C.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 142
  • PZL P11C_1.JPG
    PZL P11C_1.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 143
  • PZL P11C_2.JPG
    PZL P11C_2.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 141
  • PZL P11C_3.JPG
    PZL P11C_3.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 161
i'll have to get my spit down off the ceiling one day and blow off the dust !!!!, nice model wurger .

anyway back to the shite halifax :lol: :lol: :lol:

upper and lower wings together now, if you look at the inner nacelle on the cream part you can see the matt black coming through, it's that thin on some parts you'd think your doing a vac' form model :mrgreen:

outer nacelles went on OK, just needed a bit of shaping to fit the curve of the wing.

i made up the inner nacelles cleaned them up only to find they are too narrow at the back :shock: and i've now had to break the join and put in a piece of plasti card between the joint, so its wider at the back and fits the guide lines, as to where the nacelle should go.

this part at the rear of the wing has to be filled in with, you do get these pieces in the kit but be warned there TOO WIDE and TOO LONG :evil: so you have to keep trimming and fitting until they fit in nice, don't force them in or you will widen the backs of both wings.

i had to put a piece of plastic here as it was that thin it just collapsed :oops:

a tiny piece of plastic has to be put on both ends of the elevators, as you can see right into the wing :lol:

props are now finished needed alot of cleaning up to make them look nice.

wheels also finished, i painted them... hubs satin black, tyres matt tank grey !

*******************************************************************************************************
if any one decides to buy a FM model and build it :rolleyes: its always a good idea to sand down every mating surface on a flat surface, as they are all lumpy and un-even ;) and joining the two parts together deforms the model.

*******************************************************************************************************

front section neary done i've added a few detail parts like map/map light and the red hand grip near pilots seat also added 'pe' seat belts to the pitots seat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back