1/48 fm halifax.... guess who's back !!!!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So nice to see a Halifax kit in the same scale with my Lancs.

I am still here, on the way to build #2 and #3 aircraft but I gave up the idea to make the landing gears retractable on this pair of the wings.

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 140
  • DSCF0002_edited.JPG
    DSCF0002_edited.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 155
hi guys, glad to see you back 'ppopsie'

i've got both inner nacelles on now, god ask me if they fitted OK been battling with the vac' form parts today and i'm winning

i taped the front end up, then 'tacked' the rear of the nacelle with a bit of CA to align up with the guides which are on the wing, then inserted a 2mm wedge of plasti card and CA it in its place, also on the underside of the wings there is a big strip of plastic near the front of the nacelles [ can just be seen ] this has to be removed, you can't get wheel well in if you don't

you can see how much wider they are if you have a look at my other pictures and the insert which is at the rear of the wing where the flaps go on.

note the accurate align holes for spars , got to figure out which one needs to be filled with plastic next.

the curve of the nacelles had to be trimmed quite alot to fit the curve and the ends of the nacelles seem a bit warped too i don't like to use much filler !.

inner wheel wells where a terrible fit i had to trim the ends so they would fit to the inside of the curve

taken nacelles off to tidy up the plastic inserts, at least they are wide enough at the back now.

made up the flaps these required sanding down on the mating surfaces, also they are too long and needs about 1mm trimming off the end of the flap next to the fuselage. the flaps have to be profiled to fit the wing inserts.
can anyone spot the mistake first correct answer wins a teddy bear.

fixed the nacelle end piece this attaches directly onto the flap.

the cooling flaps had to have each flap re cut out, they where just terrible lumps and bumps every where and fiddley and took 3 hours to do them neatly again :undecided: anyone who has the kit have a look at them !, go on 'SPITFIRE' have a look if you don't believe me

the four cooling flaps nearly completed, i sprayed them 'halfords' bmw silver ! yes i know i cheated but its quicker !! and look alot better now.

painted in the black parts with a fine brush then test fitted them on the engine cowls, only needed trimming a tiny bit. do you know with all this excess plastic which will be left over i'm going to make another plane ! LOL

i've got myself some 1.5mm alloy tubing also drilled out the ends of the resin exhausts for a neat fit for the thingy bit which sticks out of the end of the exhaust and goes into the nacelle, i've got to do a bit of measuring here and look up via' pictures of this pipe** WHAT IS IT ?**

roughly cut out the vac parts they look a bit pinky ! there not its the paper the blister which should go on the top of the glass roof is way too big aswell. ggrrrrrr !

when you want to sand down some parts of vac' parts if you can put something inside to stop it from wobbling all over the place do it, gives a more accurate flat edge i used the gun mounting ring in mine to hold it rock steady. you could also fill the vac' piece with 'blue tac' to stop it from moving

just starting to drill out the openings for the guns.

few ! and cheers for looking.... ian.

Am really expecting to see the Halifax in 1/48. Fuselage of the Halifax is thicker than the Lanc's. Likewise the Stirling's is thicker and longer than the both and these differences are not visible in smaller scales like 1/72.

The lancaster started as twin engined Manchester has a thinner fuselage and wings. The fuselage is even thinner in diameter than the Mitsubishi G4M Rikko and I presume the success of the Lanc (as has been said) rooted on these.

Hey,thats a great job on that kit!Do you model any luftwaffe aircraft? I have many and I would like to post them for some feedback.Im not good at weathering,so they look fresh from the factory.

Hey,thats a great job on that kit!Do you model any luftwaffe aircraft? I have many and I would like to post them for some feedback.Im not good at weathering,so they look fresh from the factory.

hi tori, welcome to the forum :D , i've done a few luftwaffe.... airfix 1/24 stuka, BF110, airfix 1/48 BF 109, airfix 1/48 foke wolf, 1/72 heinkel he111 and i've got a 1/48 heinkel he111 which i'll be building after the halifax, a few of my models aren't weather niether sometimes they just don't need weathering 8) .

if your going to put some of your models up put them in the 'sticky' which is at the top of the modeling page titled.....'post your models' we can all have a dec' then 8) , there are a few guys on this forum who like the german stuff , naming no names... wurger ! oh sorry did i say wurger :lol: :lol:

hey guys i think you lot should but yourself this halifax kit and have a bash :evil:

ian.

done a bit more today !!!

i've carefully removed the plastic from where the guns will poke through, flipping hard i'll tell you !

wing nacelles are too big where the cooling flaps / engine cowl goes, below is what i did.

when i went to put the engine cowls on i found that the part on the wing is too big so i had to sand down the part on the wing,
which has also now allowed the cooling flaps to fit over the nacelle.

the backs of the engines where all shapes and sizes so i decided to remove the scrap resin and replace it with round balsa wood which is 5mm piece, this is a more accurate way to get the engines correctly positioned

there are a few guys on this forum who like the german stuff , naming no names... wurger ! oh sorry did i say wurger :lol: :lol:

ian.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes it is true I like the German WW2 stuff but the other countries as well.

And Tori, post your models pictures ,please, like Ian has suggested.We will enjoy them for sure.

Ian - still good working on the model.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back