1/48 HB TBM-1 Avenger VT-6 - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Inspired by Paul's wiring I did it myself, first had to drill every hole in the engine for each spark plug wire, painted and then washed the motor followed by installing wires, bending and painting wires...

8049646099_93b720393f_b.png

8049651474_0965727f89_b.png

8049646767_2059086904_b.png

Great!
Are you doing the red bordered insignia on this one?

Well after looking over my decals I will not be able to do the early US roundel.. They are not the correct size so I will use the red border ones thus ageing the aircraft to 1943 which is ok, means more wear and tear to this beast.

Great start KoJo Engine looks good like the plug wires.

I might have some early US roundels. Let me know the size and type (with/without red centre spot) and I'll check. Don't forget, the red outline to the 'Stars n' Bars' was only used for around a month.

Yes, but like all things American, there are exceptions. Go through some of the films on criticalpast, I was looking for film of Butch O'Hare's Hellcat and came across footage of Corsairs and Hellcats on Vella Lavella dated late 1943. There is a Corsair on the flightline with insignia clearly bordered in a lighter color, probably red but an extremely light blue is possible. Keeping up with directives on painting would often take a back seat to fighting the war. Planes new from the factory would naturally be painted in accordance with the latest directive, but an older one might carry it's scheme through to the end.

I've got the exact dates somewhere, but basically, the Directive called for the red outline as an extra identification feature, to be in place by September 3rd, I think, then a second Directive cancelled the first, before some units had time to paint the red outlines. By the time it all ended, the red outline had been specified and used for around one month. Many units over-painted the red with blue (in all theatres), which can show as differing tones in B&W photos. Although there were delays in removing the red, due to operational pressures, it was removed from all aircraft no later than the end of September 1943.
Those B&W photos taken after this time, showing a darker outline often mistaken for red, almost certainly show the outline over-painted in blue which, being 'fresher' than the original blue of the roundel to the star, and painted onto the relatively dark base red, would be a darker tone, and easily mistaken for red.

Great info gents! Always great to learn about the insignia changes. The little tid bit I know about the early markings on the avengers were red/white striped rudder with star roundel with red dot which was then changed to the removal of the red/white stripes and removal of red dot. The rest we all know after that..

Will have to find those pictures to post the changes.

Anyway progress is going on the Avenger, the interior is complete but basically looks the same as my BPF Avenger (trying to save space on my image hosting account..) The only thing new is I made the vacuum tube radio wire more realistic and I used an Ultracast resin seat with early harness. Will post pictures of those two items. I need to fix the belts as it came out a little dark. Now I'm hoping to have the exterior painting done by this weekend.. I hope..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back