1/48 HB TBM-1 Avenger VT-6 - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I decided to do the red border insignia. VT-6 started with the Star roundel and then went to a red border.

Ok Gents, sorry for the long delay.. Between work and visiting with my father I its been tricky to update my work. So anyway, interior work is the same as by BPF Avenger except that I used a Ultracast resin pilot seat and made the wires for the radio equipment. These details will be seen once the masking tape is off I promise. This backdating the 1C to a "1" took some work but here is pictures of the base primer and followed by preshading. This time I used a mixture for the pre shade of 60% dark sea blue and 30% dark gull grey as black would be too stark for the light colors used on this bird. Currently the model looks like rubbish but thats the nice thing about it being a preshade. I hope to have the scheme painted and maybe sealed this weekend. I really need to get both Avengers wrapped up so by the first of November I can start the Fairey Swordfish for my Father..

8104061181_3425872ed3_b.png

8104061219_7bef15da1e_b.png

On certain scheme its just easier to paint, and way easier to mask.

Looking good so far. I much prefer to have all main airframe parts assembled, even if masking and painting is more complex, as it minimises work later, if there are joints to attend to.

Just a side note the wings are not even glued to the fuselage either. The nice thing about the Hobby Boss and Accurate Miniatures Avenger kits is they were very well engineered where the wings and horizontal stabs can be attached after, with care of coarse. The Bf109 is another aircraft in which I leave the horizontal stabs off until after it is painted.

Well, even on my AM Avenger, I ran extra glue and added a bit of fuller in the main wing roots. Despite these being pretty good fits, there were still a few gaps that needed filling to my eye.

Some nice pre-shading Kojo.Is that dark blue you've used? fitting parts after painting worries me as far as the fit being good plus the logistic of gluing.
Vaughan

Last edited:
Dark sea blue used instead of black this time around. Parts are dry fitted prior to painting. Very little glue is required on the horizontal stabs of the hobby boss kit. Paint scheme is complete at this time and will be bonding the pieces to the fuselage and touching up certain spots where wet sanding took off a hair much. Pics coming soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back