1/48 HS Buccaneer - The Jet Age.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lots of hard work going into this one! I would echo Andy's suggestion of adding lead via a hole vs sawing the cone off altogether.

So... cut it into small pieces with the pliers for instance. These pieces of the lead have to be of the dimensions that can allow you put them into the cone through the hole. Of course you may add some of adhesive to inside the cone. I would suggest a glue for wood. Here in Poland it is named WIKOL that is an emulsion adhesive consisting of the aqueous dispersion of polyvinyl acetate, a mineral filler and modifiers. Initially it is white like milk then it gets clear when hardened. The kind of adhesive doesn't get any reaction with plastic but sticks very good. It will help with keeping these lead pieces together without their moving inside the cone.

Last edited:
I agree about the method of adding the nose weight.
Wings normally folded when parked, and air brake normally deployed also. Here's a couple of shots of the wing fold - note that the red 'bar' is a ground safety lock, removed before 'unfolding' the wings. Here's some shots showing the wing fold detail - note that the red 'bar' is a ground safety lock, removed before deploying the wings.

Attachments

• Duxford  May 2011 162.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 162.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Duxford  May 2011 163.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 163.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Duxford  May 2011 164.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 164.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
OK OK I get it don't **** the nose off, as it turns out, no need, I pulled of the taped on tail, UH Dummy me, duh. and the lead goes all the way down. Gorilla glue and we shall see, that stuff stinks and expands and takes a while to dry, oh did I mention it can be a mess, if it works right though, that lead ain't going anywhere

Attachments

• buc33.jpg
    buc33.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 108
  • buc34.jpg
    buc34.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 96
  • buc35.jpg
    buc35.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 20150520_190335.jpg
    20150520_190335.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Need some help, British Desert Pink. I need it in acrylic but I need a good color splotch to match to or a good preexisting color.

OK last weekend I went up to Austin to Dales. Left just int he nick of time to and the storms came crashing in. Tornadoes, flooding, blinding rain. I left that to get the same some 5 hours after I got home. Anyway I did not get much done this week till today.

Word to the wise, while I have not had the issues Terry had when he built his, there are a couple of things to keep and eye out for. The speed brake I decided to close. I could not find any open in Desert Storm so I went for the closed. This is a very bad Idea. The speed brake is like it comes form a 60's era kit. raised detail and the fit is a mess and it is very difficult to get attached to the fuselage.

I received the new kit last Friday and am setting up the two windscreens to make molds of them. I am not a wood carver by anyone's standard and we ain't even going there. I believe I can make the clear resin replacements but if not, you told me so. Also go the first coat of paint on. The vallejos Sand it just the right color. a perfect match of humbrell's 250.

Attachments

• buc38.JPG
    buc38.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 87
  • buc40.JPG
    buc40.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 60
  • buc36.JPG
    buc36.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 67
  • buc41.JPG
    buc41.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 65
  • buc37.JPG
    buc37.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 66
  • buc39.JPG
    buc39.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 78
Cleaned up the brake and set it aside for now. poured the molding for the wind screens. first filled them with modeling clay and then poured the mold. I'm really hoping to use the cast to be able to do a vac form from clear but we will see.

Attachments

• buc41.JPG
    buc41.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 77
  • buc42.JPG
    buc42.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 70
  • buc43.JPG
    buc43.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 82
My decision to leave my Flogger brakes open was mainly due to not having to deal with the fit issues of them in the closed position. Probably the same thing with my canopy.

That looks like some intense work with the canopy molds! I'm crossing my fingers for ya!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back