1/48 Mosquito B Mk IV - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I agree. And as for dioramas, almost every model I build, I intend to place either on a suitable base, a 'mini-diorama, or a full 'scene' diorama - but it rarely happens!

My intent too but, like I said, by the time I get the paint done on the model, I just want to move on. Maybe some day I'll go back and build some proper bases.

Anyway, first off, I'd like to thank you all for your kind comments. It's appreciated, really. I've spent little time on this bird as the weather here has been glorious (high twenties and sunny over a 4 day weekend) and I'm loath to be cooped up in my basement when I could be out biking or doing some other outdoor stuff. Nevertheless, I did manage to finish off a couple of things as seen below. The pilot's seat received some scratch built seat belts made of aluminum foil tape and the radio equipment was painted and installed. The port wall is not yet glued in, just positioned to check for interferences. In addition, some of the details on the side walls have been picked out.

I'm spending limited effort in detailing the pit as there will be no open panels to look in, save for the crew hatch on the bottom, so anything that is worth seeing will be viewed either from the small hatch opening or through the fixed glazing. Nevertheless, I am trying to figure out the navigator's seat which I believe that, though I'm not sure, Revell got wrong and I do want to get this right before applying seat belts here. I've yet to come across a proper pic of a true seat detail but all I know is that the seat should be a folding affair. I've seen pics with no back cushion and have read that Revell modelled a museum-installed seat cushion that is in actual fact that of a modern ejection seat. If anyone has some guidance on this while I keep looking, I would appreciate some feedback. Unfortunately, the B.35 that I'm helping restore has this area in various boxes and it was likely heavily modified in the post war years anyway so will be of no help.

13070201.jpg
13070202.jpg

I've always licked the Mossie. You're doing it great justice matey.

Now I have a reason to do one at some point in time. F/O. F. R. DAVIDSON. R.AJ.V.H., No. 571 Sqn received the DFC Nov. 1944.

Good stuff Andy. The old Airfix FBVI kit had a similar shaped seat base, but the back rest cushion is more rectangular. From what I remember of the (now sadly lost) BAe TIII, the cushions were not far different to those in the Airfix kit, and the Revell is more or less acceptable.
On the pilot's seat, that rounded moulding on the armoured back rest was a leather cushion, the edges of which were 'rolled', rather like rope, but also leather. The colour was normally very dark brown.
Beneath the pilot's seat there was a stainless steel 'relief tank', cylindrical in shape, with a hose running from it to a clip beneath the forward edge of the seat, the end of which had a stainless steel 'cup' shaped like an elongated wine glass. At the side of the tank, facing starboard, was a First Aid kit, normally rectangular, around 12 or 14 inches wide approximately, painted white, with a red cross centrally located.
Both of these items can be clearly seen when viewed from the lower hatch, although the First Aid kit blocks out most of the tank, with mainly the hose and cup visible.

Thanks guys. Terry, valuable input as always. The pee tank and cup are molded into the floor and the hose is completely obscured by the seat. I can get at the tank to paint it aluminum and will add the first aid kit as suggested. Also will paint the pilot seat pad as dark leather and assume the navigator's seat will be the same.

Evan, the leather was planned but only after making certain the cushions were correct. Given the above input and no better pics showing up, I'll juts keep the details that are there, paint the leather and add the navigator's belts.

Thank-you Vic. There's so much more that could go in there, especially on the wiring front. The bomb bay is another story and the side walls will need to get the full treatment of hydraulic and fuel lines as they are quite visible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back