1/48 OS2U Kingfisher, Aussie bird.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This is what happens when you trust the researchers at Tamiya, I built this (IIRC) in the early 80's. I figured that if anyone should know it would be the Japanese themselves, I was wrong.
This is the "lilac" that matched the color call out, but I prefer to call it purple. It sounds slightly better. I will keep it as is, if nothing else as a reminder to do my own research. Although in my defence, this was in the bad old days before the internet.

Last edited:
Been studying the pictures closely and there is no set camouflage pattern, rather it looks as if they tried a little of everything. From a 50/50 split between slate and sea, to a predominantly sea grey with just a little slate. Some have the floats in either NMF/ underside blue or sea grey with slate patches.
So here is my interpretation of a Kingfisher, Aussie style. There is still some touch-up to do, I need to bring the underside blue down to the wing floats and the sea grey up to the fuselage on the center supports, but here it is.

It's lookin brilliant Paul........

But.... how do they see where they are going with all that tape on the glass??

The purple one is kinda girly!

Looking good Paul are you going to keep it clean or some weathering.
Brand spankin' new at Lake Boga, 1942. A little exhaust and some wear on the floats, but that's about it.
I like new aircraft. Sometime soon I will weather the snot out of something, just to show I can, but generally, I like 'em clean.

Last edited:
Looks great, Paul. Can't wait to her 'er finished....

Hmmmm... thought the flaps were going to be down ?

Charles
Same as the cowling, Charles. White glued in place to keep the camo straight, can't have any lines not match up. The advantage of the white glue is, it washes off pretty easy, then the flaps can be positioned as desired.

Ahoy Paul
Hardy Well done my man looking like a million bucks your Rufe is excellent damn good job keep it up buddy you doing very well love to see the finished project.

Boats

Same as the cowling, Charles. White glued in place to keep the camo straight, can't have any lines not match up. The advantage of the white glue is, it washes off pretty easy, then the flaps can be positioned as desired.

That explains everything..... It do look good ! I agree with Matt, weathering is overrated and in some cases carried too
far.

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread