1/48 OS2U Kingfisher, Aussie bird. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Paul's never been known to have a neat work-place. However, he insists he knows where everything is. The build is looking real good, Paul. The OS2U is one of my favorite aircraft. I'll be watching this build...

BTW, I made the thread sticky, so I could find it !

Charles

Just getting the interior framing figured out, as probably 70% of the interior will be scratch-built, fit is the first thing.
The float guy wires are installed, and a test fit of the wing. I may have to figure out a different way of attatching the wings, it looks as if they might interfere with the interior.

king5.jpg

king6.jpg

king7.jpg

Looking better all the time Paul. I'd guess you'd need to build through spars for the wings, presumably like the real thing, and sheet-over the cut-outs for the wing roots. Bit fiddly, as you'll need to jig and align the wings and spars to check fit and geometry, before constructing the fuselage and interior, but I'm sure you'll get it sorted.

Terry, something along those lines was bouncing around my brain also, then I got to thinking about the fact that the flaps won't be installed untill the darn thing is almost done, and none of the forward section of the wing will be seen from the rear cockpit, as the radio gear and shelves will block the view.
Here are the depth charges I found in the spares box and a rough guess as to the section that I will cut out of the wing.

king8.jpg

king9.jpg

Just a thought paul.
Would the wing have been fully skinned over inside the cockpit area of the fuselage?
Do we know what the wing spar looked like thru the fuselage???? Perhaps the seat was over the top of the spar, pilots feet below the top level? Just thinkin out loud.

Found this on eBay. A cutaway for sale, shows the cockpit pretty clearly.... may help solve your layout.

Chance-Vought OS-2U "Kingfisher" Floatplane - Cutaway 18"x24 Color Print | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Minimal progress yesterday, I was tired from fighting with a Ford.
I scavenged a radio, scratchbuilt for an abandoned Catalina build. And the flap and aileron cut from one side of the wing.

king10.jpg

king11.jpg

Thanks, gents!
I will ignore the Ford-blasphemy... (Although I am starting to wonder myself!)
Charles, nope, I don't have any GB icons. I think Wotjek has been too busy as of late to do #'s 13 and 14, and those are the only ones I have been in.
(Hint, hint.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back