1/48 P-38 Lightning

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maglar

Tech Sergeant
Jan 29, 2009
Florida
Will be starting this wonderful Revell kit. Seems the plastic is molded in a nice shiny silver which should save me some paint on the main body :D. Heres some starter pics, will try to get going on it soon.

Attachments

• PICT0263.JPG
    PICT0263.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 159
  • PICT0264.JPG
    PICT0264.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 147
  • PICT0266.JPG
    PICT0266.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 140
  • PICT0268.JPG
    PICT0268.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 148
Generally.The kit moulds seem to be a little gone.

Eh, you have better eyes then me for this kind of stuff :D. We'll see how it folds out, if its that bad I got two more in the depot.. but they're revell too! oh no! Will start with the figures lol

I think it can't be bad.But some sanding can be needed.

Attachments

• Pict0268a.jpg
    Pict0268a.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 152
Ah yes, I will look at that stuff as I glue along. As for that pilots head, I think thats his headphone band

Shouldn't be too bad in 1/48th scale. It might be the old Monogram kit, which is still good, although the pilot figures look different.
The main thing to pay attention to is the alignment of the tail booms, and the joint of these at the rear of the engine cowlings/wings.
Don't forget some weight in the nose!
If you are going to have it in bare metal, I'm afraid you'll still need to paint it, as that 'silvery' plastic will go grey after a time exposed to daylight, and anyhow, will not accept the decals very well.
If you're a bit put off by 'silver' finishes, have a look at my thread 'Bare Metal Made Easy' - it works!
Terry.

Righto airframes.. guess its time to whip out my 3/4" brush for this one! haha [My aztek airbrush shoots glops and I do clean the tip.. might need a new nozzle or something man]

Hey Airframes, that is a super article on NMF finishes. One of these day I will have to get some SNJ. I have a 1/72 F-80 and F-86D that would be a good place to start with!

Bill G.

Ok, primed my pilot duo after sanding their imperfections. [I think one of them gets hidden in the plane but I will still paint him for practice]. Just a pic to keep the thread satisfied. Will post them painted probably tomorrow then get on to the real work.

Attachments

• PICT0271.JPG
    PICT0271.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 147
  • PICT0269.JPG
    PICT0269.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 138
If I remember the kit correctly, the second pilot is the radar operator for the P-38M Night Lightning. You won't be using him in any other version. So check the instructions for who is whom! Would you want the radar guy "Flying" the plane???? Just kidding!

Bill G.

You're right bill.. Only one gets used, I dont think I would mind if he was driving this plane here. Always good to have a "practice" figure :D

I don't think it would matter which figure was 'flying' the aircraft, neither of them have their hands on the controls, He He!!
Thanks for the compliment Bill - the method described works extremely well.
Terry.

Some work with the pilot. Need to dullcote and make the white less prominent. But in these I tried some skin tones ( face , hands ) and a 5 o'clock shadow with my MIG 'mud'. Some spots are blurry, I dont own a nikon! :|

Attachments

• PICT0272.JPG
    PICT0272.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 129
  • PICT0279.JPG
    PICT0279.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 142
  • PICT0280.JPG
    PICT0280.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 130
  • PICT0282.JPG
    PICT0282.JPG