1/48 P-40 "Flying Tigers" - Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking good Paul. I've been scrabbling around, collecting all my seated pilot figures, as my next two, possibly three builds will be 'ground scenes' with the pilot(s) on board. I just wish all manufacturers would provide separate arms, rather than have them choking themselves! Got some re-modelling to do methinks!

Looking good Paul. I've been scrabbling around, collecting all my seated pilot figures, as my next two, possibly three builds will be 'ground scenes' with the pilot(s) on board. I just wish all manufacturers would provide separate arms, rather than have them choking themselves! Got some re-modelling to do methinks!

Let me know if you need any Terry.

Wings glued together, top and bottom. Sanded and ready to mate with the fuselage.

p409.jpg

Well. I am thoroughly confused as to the colors on the A.V.G. P-40's. I found a couple of excellent sites that seemed to nail down the scheme, but then I found one with an interview with Eric Shilling. (an actual "Flying Tiger") He claims that the P-40's were in two shades of green. This is contrary to Curtiss records and most of the photographic evidence.
Thoughts?

I am so tatally confused myownself about 450 and 3 Squadrons RAF as to desert colors.
I get stymede every time whn it comes to the camo colors.

Good luck with this matey.

As much as it is valuable to get first hand accounts, one does need to realize that memories are fragile and need to be checked against known facts. Even if Shilling's memory is accurate, his interpretation of the colour could vary with that of others as well. Though I'm no expert on the AVG, I'd stick with the well researched documentation.

That is where I am leaning. Curtiss records list DuPont paint equivalencies to British "Dark Earth", "Dark Green" and "Sky type S". DuPont paints had a nasty habit of fading out to weird shades, so perhaps that is the source of Mr. Shillings memories.
For an example, pilots of the 14th fighter group in North Africa reported that their early model O.D. painted P-38's faded to purple!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back