1/48 Tamiya P-51D Mustang Ray Wetmore

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The green nose would have originally been a band, extending 12 inches aft from the spinner, which, as in other Fighter Groups, was later extended, in various styles, depending on the Group.
The profile and photo are from Osprey's 'Mustang Aces' book. Note, however, that the green used was much darker, as shown in the profile, and this is confirmed by colour photos I have of other aircraft from this Group.

Attachments

• Can Jan 663.jpg
    Can Jan 663.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 208
  • Can Jan 664.jpg
    Can Jan 664.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 293
Hello all,
Here are other P-51D of the same unit. Terry, I agree with your comment but as you can see, the originally 12 inches green band wasn't automatically applied.
- 12 inches green band not visible here
iv-d2.jpg

emory3.jpg

cv-u.jpg

- 12 inches green band visible here
iv-e.jpg

Here, it seems that the original green band is not the same green as the design applied later (lighter green)... (P-51D in the background)
dusty3.jpg

My project:
cs-l1.jpg

When in doubt, I think to keep my green this way...
Cheers
Stéph

Last edited:
Other question regarding antenna mast colour...??? Some sources say black ? Others say OD ?
Why would this not the same blue as the rudder or the same green as the nose ???
My 2 cents opinion: nose green...

Other question regarding antenna mast colour...??? Some sources say black ? Others say OD ?
Why would this not the same blue as the rudder or the same green as the nose ???
My 2 cents opinion: nose green...

This photo shows Caroline with a Red antenna mast and the ones in the background Black?
Nice work
Mike

Attachments

• mustang gn.jpg
    mustang gn.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 157
Hey, Steph,
Damned nice job! I like everything about the build. Impressive job.
Dale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back