1/48 UC-70 (Howard DGA-15) Scratchbuild

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

hawkeye2an

Staff Sergeant
Mar 18, 2009
St Joseph, Missouri
No kit and probably never will be. So scratchbuilding is the only option.

Pic 1 - photo of what I'm going for

Pic 2 - plans and carved wood fuselage pattern

Pic 3 - tail surfaces, struts, wheel spats from a Stinson Reliant, cowling modified from a Mr. Mulligan and engine from Engines Things.

Attachments

• scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 274
  • UC-702plans.jpg
    UC-702plans.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 257
  • UC-703bits.jpg
    UC-703bits.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 245
Pic 1 - Vacuformed fuselage half

Pic 2 - Wing made from laminated sheet styreen

Attachments

• UC-704fuselage.jpg
    UC-704fuselage.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 198
  • UC-705wing.jpg
    UC-705wing.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 202
Made quite a bit of progress recently.

Pic 1 - fuselage. looks a little rough, but most of that will be covered by the clear part you see in pic 3. the rest will be putty.

Pic 2 - the process for masking the windows. Plan piece has been glued to masking tape. It will be cut out and placed over clear part.

Pic 3 - All the major components are done. Kind of hung up on how to attach wings. Originally planned to cut clear part out and attach entire wing, but the clear molding is much stronger than I anticipated. Now I'm thinking of cutting the wing and attaching it to the clear. The struts will give it the strength I need, just like the really thing. Still running through it all in my head. With 5 other projects going I'm in no real hurry.

Attachments

• UC-706fuselage.jpg
    UC-706fuselage.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 203
  • UC-707windowmasks.jpg
    UC-707windowmasks.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 190
  • half-all.jpg
    half-all.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 199
Excellent work! Maybe a slot cut in the clear part, with a spar on the underside of the wing? The clear part might lose some rigidity when cut, hence the spar between the wing, as a centre section reinforcement.

Thanks Terry. I think I'll give that a try. Don't know why I'm having such a MENTAL block on this. If I jack it up I can always vac a new part and start over.

I finally decided to jump off the fence and try to get this finished. I will be working on it in between the other 3 builds I've got going now. Decided to cut the wings and run a couple of brass rods through the clear parts and into the wings. Should be able to keep the clear part's rigidity and be able to glue and putty the wings onto it.

Attachments

• UC-708.jpg
    UC-708.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 190

Users who are viewing this thread

Back