1/64 S.S.Pride of Baltimore II - Unofficial GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

javlin

2nd Lieutenant
Nov 20, 2007
MS
User Name:Javlin
Name: Kevin
Kit:Model Shipways
Scale: 1/64
Accessories: None some scratch building

This type of sailing vessel known as the Baltimore Clipper first appear during the American Revolution(when we punished the Brits).Because the ship was so fast,it's hull design became a favorite and was patterned by others desiring rapid transportation on the high seas.The Baltimore Clipper was fully developed and most success during the period from 1805-1815 and is generally accepted as the precursor to the Clipper ship era of the 1850's.

Attachments

• balitmore (800 x 600).jpg
    balitmore (800 x 600).jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Some very nice lines on that one Kevin, lovely looking ship that reminds me of the other well thought of Canadian schooner 'Bluenose'.

You might also think of opening your own thread on this one under the new Modelling section for GB Un-official. Here's the link for ships

Ships

Usual GB format of name, model, scale etc. but only add a brief summery and pic of your build on the first entry, then do a second post with all the other stuff you would like to say and from there on in it is your build tread.

This is my very first attempt at a plank on bulkhead and it will present it's own challenges with some learning curves accompanied with some dry text book reading but I shall prevail.Thus far as one can see the bulkheads are in place,transom carved and shaped,bulkheads faired(sanded to shape) and the planksheer installed(on top of deck area) that holds bulwark stanchions.

Attachments

• balitmore 005 (900 x 675).jpg
    balitmore 005 (900 x 675).jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 229
  • balitmore 004 (900 x 675).jpg
    balitmore 004 (900 x 675).jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 190
  • balitmore 003 (900 x 675).jpg
    balitmore 003 (900 x 675).jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 219
Nice one Kevin. I'm pretty sure I saw this ship at the tall ships festival in Halifax about 10 years ago.

And I am pretty sure I saw it at the beginning of Dracula 2000 :lol: My buddy down the street does only wood ships and said thats how they earn thier keep these days festivals and movies.

Thanks Andy,Wayne and Hugh ;) I have been reading up on the planking ATTM abit dry but necessary.The box top Andy shows a white wale (?) while that is a light yellow.the kit provides a propellar but think I will opt out on that aspect of the build going down memory lane of tall ships of the 1800's.

Not sure the modern version would be accurate for colours Kevin. I'm no expert on 1800's ships but I think I read somewhere the white sides were used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back