1/72 Airfix Bristol Blenheim Mk IV

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I was the same way BEFORE I started this kit. I was following an Airfix Blenheim Group Build on another forum and was impressed with what i was seeing so I went out and got this kit. I was terribly disappointed :( when I opened the box. I think it was the thought of scratch building the cockpit that made me move forward. Shortly after the cockpit was done I lost interest. I think it was the thought of building a Mk 1 for our BoB group build that invigorated me to tackle it again. Now I'm really jazzed at the though of completing it. I'm sure reading the Squadron book "Blenheim's in Action" and Ospry's "Blenheim Squadrons of World War 2" helped.

I think we are all alike in the way that we love to crack open a new model and peruse the sprees. This kit has the affect of opening a pack of moldy cheese. But as Terry pointed out in the beginning of the build this kit is from the 60's. I have to admit it took some work on my part but I'm very happy with the current progress.

If you decide to take the plunge I hope you share the progress with us.

Well here is a tiny bit of progress. This was my first go with masks and I must say I am pleased. The canopy and side windows have been attached and the decals applied all but the fuselage codes. I will have to custom make those. As some of you might have seen in my thread under weathering I had tried to apply some dull cote but for some reason it made the entire aircraft look chalky. Last night I reapplied some future and all is right with the woirld again.

Here are the canopy photos fpr now. There is light at the end of this tunnel. Woo Hoo!

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

Looking good there Dirk. The chalky appearance of the matt clear coat is usually caused by the matting agent going into 'retirement' ! A good stir immediately before use should avoid this, even if stirred previously. This can easily happen with marked variations in temperature and humidity, especially so if sprayed.
If it happens again, then before re-coating in gloss and then re-applying the matt clear coat, just wet the affected surface with your finger (not water). If it goes clear again, then it'll clear - up with a gloss clear coat. If it remains chalky or milky, then it will probably need the top surface removing, by either very light sanding then a polish, or a rub over with a cloth only just dampened with the appropriate thinner.

Out of mothballs come my Airfix Blenheim MkIV. I've been holding off on this one waiting to learn how to make my own decals.

This was my first attempt at home made decals. The color looked fine on the computer but something got lost in the transfer. Another thing I can't figure out is how to make the decals darker. They are very transparent. Oh well they aren't perfect but I am learning.

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0962.jpg

After taking the final photos I found something else I missed. The areal antenna. Having already disposed of the empty parts trees and the box I had to make a new one from scratch.

IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1025.jpg

Thanks for looking

Looking good Dirk. Have a look at your thread about home made decals; I gave a bit of info in reply which might help. But, you won't be able to improve the density, on clear decal sheet, off the printer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back