1/72 Airfix Bristol Blenheim Mk IV

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great work so far with that old Airfix kit Dirk! :thumbright:
If you haven't already thought of it, you should consider using a vac canopy on it so you don't hide all that detail you did behind the coke bottleish thing that comes in the box. Squadron has a decent one for under $4 that makes a world of difference.

Great work so far with that old Airfix kit Dirk! :thumbright:
If you haven't already thought of it, you should consider using a vac canopy on it so you don't hide all that detail you did behind the coke bottleish thing that comes in the box. Squadron has a decent one for under $4 that makes a world of difference.

Do they? ill have to look into that. Thanks

Nivc work Dirk, and looking good. But, a bit of bad news. Coastal Command didn't use the Blenheim IV, just the fighter versions of the Blenheim MkIf and MkIVf. The Illustration you posted is somewhat spurious as the codes shown don't exist, and are possibly supposed to be 'GB', of 105 Sqn, Bomber Command, in which case the colour scheme would have been Dark Green/Dark Earth, with Sky undersurfaces. The scheme shown appears to be Dark Green, Ocean Grey with Medium Sea Grey undersurfaces, again dubious, even for Coastal Command at that period. Sorry!!

Not a big deal. This one is just for the fun of it.

Here is the Blenheim unmasked

IMG_3057.jpg

The Blenheim canopies are also in Falcon set #8 which should be RAF part 2.
Could be worth getting that set depending on whether you plan to do these other aircraft - WW2 RAF Bombers #2: Avro Anson, Bristol Blenheim, Vickers Wellington, Fairey Battle, Bristol Blenheim IV, Armstrong Whitworth Whitley, Handley-Page Hampden, De Havilland Mosquito IV

Cost is probably around $10.50.

Yep, that's a good set, I have it myself (need the Blenheim canopy for my own, unfortunately)

Btw, the Squadron canopies are actually Falcons, sold as seperate items. Range is limited, but you do get two canopies per set for the fighters (in 1:72 atleast)

Any more updates Dirk? I just bought ths kit so I am following this thread with great interest.
Cheers,
Tony.

A bit late but took these on the weekend at the museum in Nanton, Alberta.

Attachments

• IMG_0327.jpg
    IMG_0327.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0328.jpg
    IMG_0328.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_0334.jpg
    IMG_0334.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0335.jpg
    IMG_0335.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0329.jpg
    IMG_0329.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0337.jpg
    IMG_0337.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0336.jpg
    IMG_0336.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 175
The Blenheim has been on the back burner for a little while due to other projects that have a deadline but every now and then I pick it up. The other day I had some time so I painted the bronze on the forward engine cowlings.

IMG_3154.jpg

IMG_3155.jpg

Till next time thanks for looking

Looks great Dirk! Were you ever able to find the vacuform canopy for it? Would be a shame to hide that scratch-built interior behind that goldfish bowl the Airfix kit comes with.

Looks great Dirk! Were you ever able to find the vacuform canopy for it? Would be a shame to hide that scratch-built interior behind that goldfish bowl the Airfix kit comes with.

No, not yet. Last I checked they were still out of stock. The good thing is the Mattel Vacuform I purchased off EvilBay came in. I need to clean it up a bit, figure out how to use it and then figure out the correct gauge plastic and where to get it. This might be the pilot project for it. :|

32-Vacuform.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back