1/72 McDonnell-Douglas A-4K Skyhawk - Your Favourite Aircraft of All Time GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Evan. I have the 1/48 Italeri. it was my first build. its a nice kits, but as my first effort....well.....

I want to build all the main types of the RAN at the same scale (1/72) so will have a look at the types you mentioned. thanks for the heads up

In the mean time, come on man, I want progress....giddy up

Cheers Aaron!
Was working on a small picture yesterday too for Ivett, but abandoned as the paper couldn't handle the wet in wet, and started shedding itself. Had tried to save the sky, but the paper's beyond it - colours come out too strong and 'patchy' due to the raw paper but can't be washed without the paper flaking further in balls.
The "experience" folder for this one, and a new one for Ivett...

STA52137.JPG

Last edited:
Cheers Wayne!

Andy, there is, and this is one version of it. Watercolour papers should be washed before painting, then stretched and taped to a board. This helps limit the amount a paper will buckle with painting. This is a case of 'pilot error' I think - I went too heavy with the prewash, then worked the background too much. Always learning.... :)

Thanks Charles, I'll need it I think!
Btw, anyone have an idiot-proof trick for fixing warps in plastic? Don't really want to have to cut a large section out of the wing if I can avoid it.

One wing is a Star Trek fan and thought it would like to try warping aswell... :)

But seriously...one wing is warped (or deformed/ buckled), in a hump, probably due to the amount of glue previously used to cement it. I want to straighten her if possible, otherwise I'll have to chop out most of it and make a new one from sheet styrene.

As it is...:

STA52166.JPG

...and as it should be:

STA52167.JPG

Ok Spock. Has a similar problem with that big Cat I built and managed to fix it by a jerry built rig to add up or down pressure where needed and then sat for a couple of hours with the hair dryer gently warming, letting it cool, warming more and so on. Left in the jug with more heat treatment over a couple of days and the wing was fixed. The wing in question had a twist and a curl on one wing the jug was made up of cups, tins, hammers (for weight) and tissue paper to protect the plastic and I dis also glue in a stiff metal rod to help take out some of the warping.

You sure you don't have a root ball inside there, it's puffed up like a pillow.
Just make sure you use a hair dryer and not a heat gun. You want to wrm it, not melt it.....
Good luck.

Cheers Vic, will give that a go!

Hear ya Bill - my hot air station for soldering would melt that sucker in seconds! (cheers!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back