1/72 McDonnell Douglas F-4B Phantom II, Jolly Rogers – Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the kind words guys

Work continues on the Phantom with some masking and painting

IMG_2408.jpg

IMG_2409.jpg

The first coat of light ghost gray is applied

IMG_2410.jpg

IMG_2411.jpg

Thanks for looking

Thanks guys but I wasn't happy with the results

The directions call for Gray but as we all know there are all kinds of Gray. I first thought about using "Light Gray" but felt it would be way to light so I opted for the "Light Ghost Gray." It turned out to be way to dark so I pulled out the "Light Gray" and added a touch of the "Light Ghost Gray" to it. This will assure that there is a distinct difference between the top and bottom colors. I took photos but with the lighting and the flash you can't tell the difference between the two but there is.

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
Hope it comes out okay Dirk. I also see you use the blue masking tape, I've found that it sometimes leaves a film of sticky on the plastic. Something to watch for.

I have used the blue masking for a couple of years now, and the only time I have had trouble was when I left it on too long and it was hot out.
Then it was a b@stard to get the "sticky" off!

I think the blue stuff is only used for house painting.

It's very low tack, but the adhesive is not the best quality. I would never leave it on any longer than the time to paint, and then remove it as soon as possible. The yellow Tamiya is the trick, cost a bit more, but use it for painting only and it covers the headache. Even when I was professing the electrician rubber tape, that is something I gave up soon after. It doesn't like acrylics.

Even when I was signwriting I used a 3M tape, mat finish but a lower tack than office tape. Probably like the adhesive of post-it notes. I could get it in 1/4" rolls and worked beautifully with enamels, but not acrylics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back