1/72 Short Stirling BIII - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Glenn, regarding the lost rivets, take a look at the product Adam is using in the last few posts on the Dora Galoras thread. Potential solution for you if you want to replace them.

Glenn, regarding the lost rivets, take a look at the product Adam is using in the last few posts on the Dora Galoras thread. Potential solution for you if you want to replace them.
I looked into that stuff when I saw his post but I don't thing it would match very well with the rivets that are still there, too big, so I think I'll let it go as is and hope the weathering will hide the lack of rivets somewhat.
I've been continuing on with smoothing out seams on the wings and tail feathers. Lots of plastic dust. Pictures when I get some done.

Small parts clean-up. What you see here is 2 or 3 hours of work. All the parts were very rough especially the props which were a nightmare. I'm surprised I was able to save all the tips and not break off any of the blades. The main gear struts had very soft detail and I tried to sharpen it up with my needle file, and I think at least partially succeeded. Hopefully they will look good when painted. The only casualty in the whole process was one small pin on one of the main gear struts that anchors the horizontal brace. It shouldn't be too much of a problem.

P7150173.JPG
P7150174.JPG

Last edited:
I feel for you Glenn. Clean up of parts like that is a royal pain and my Mossie has lots of that kind of thing as well. Surprising amount of flash for a new tool kit in my case.

nice cleanup glenn. Can I ask what you do to get such nice finishes on what sounds like a rather second rate product.....what do you do to get messy small parts looking so good?

great work there Glenn, the cleanup process is one of those areas that can be a bit of a lengthy pain, but the pain is worth it in the end when everything comes together, fits right and looks good once installed!

I cut out the vac canopy and bomb aimers window last night and dipped them in Future. The bomb aimers window didn't seem to fit very well, too narrow, so I also prepped the kit part which seemed to fit a lot better, Although it is quite thick I'll probably end up using it. Hope to get them installed on the fuselage tonight.

P1010745-.JPG

Last edited:
What will you be using to attach the vac formed canopy parts?
Testors tube glue applied sparingly with a toothpick after I scrape the Future off the mating surface. It gives a nice strong joint that won't come apart if I have to do any filing, and the Future protects the canopy from being fogged by the glue.

Didn't get the canopy on last night because I found that it too was too narrow, so I added small strips of plastic to the sills to spread the vac part to the correct width. I'll try to get it on to night and take some pictures

T Bolt looking forward to seeing your Stirling finished, it is certainly coming on well.

Just about to convert an Airfix Stirling I made a few years ago into an D Day or Arnhem glider tug, I'm not happy with it in it's original state as a bomber. It is one of the first kits I built after a 25 year brake in the hobby and I was tricked by the kit a quite a few times. The plan is basically to remove all the rubbishy old turrets except the rear gunners position and try and hide the more than slightly dodgy spray job I originally gave it with invasion stripes. I then have another kit waiting to be built as a bomber and I intend to beat the bloody thing into submission by joining the top of the fuselage together as flush as possible at the expense of the lower fuselage joint. I lost most of the rivets on the upper fuselage with my original build after being forced to use a carpenters plane on the joint, it was the loss of the rivets and the poor joint that spoilt the look of the kit the most for me. My basic plan this time is to try and hide the nasty bits as best as possible, after all I am never going to pick the model up and look at its undersides.
I am sat here looking at my original build saying to myself what a head ache this is going to be. Even though it was a brand new kit the transfers (decals if your American) fell to 1000 pieces when I wetted them, airfix transfers are just rubbish and I think they are made from a mixture of plastic carrier bags and leafs.
As already said the turrets are appalling things, the sort where a badly moulded gunner sits with a giant ring of plastic between his hands sandwiched between two very bland looking guns. The undercarriage parts are as deformed and misshapen as the Elephant Man but with patience you can put them together and they look reasonable enough (by my standards, im not so fussy as some). The tiny windows along the fuselage all have huge dimples that make them look like those bulls eye Georgian window pains that tatty old pubs have.
Apart from that it is a really lovely old kit which I like lots and lots. Regardless of its many faults and obvious age there is something very reassuring about this kit still being in production, I think it is because it survived the dark years of Thatcher government and is a link to more honest times now forgotten.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back