1/72nd Me262A Companion to my GB43 Aces

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
Manufacturer: Has from 1985
Model: Me262A
Scale: 1:72
Extras:
Having decals printed........ just so they are correct.
Resin Port side engine, I know.... wrong side but there ain't one for the other!!!
Do have an Eduard cockpit kit, did use some of it.
Started by adding piping to the resin engine, cowlings will have blown off.
Scratching compartment in front of gun bay.
Added a resin aftermarket pilot, kit one is crap!

GB43_G2-1a.jpgGB43_G2-1b.jpgGB43_G2-B1.jpg

This is the first Me262 shot down by an Aussie, Sqn Ldr Tony Gaze, GB43 Aces subject.

On the Saint Valentines day 1945, while flying Spitfire XIV DW-F, Tony became the first Australian pilot to shoot down a German Messerschmitt Me262 jet. Here follows Tony's Combat Report for that day, the 14th February 1945:-
"On 14/2/45 I was leading Wavey Black section of two aircraft on standing patrol over NIJMEGEN. At about 1630 hours I sighted an Arado 234 pulling up from attacking the CLEVE area. I dropped my tank and attempted to intercept but despite the fact that I cut the corner it pulled away easily at 7,000 ft. After this we continually chased Arados over this area. I fired at two without result. At about 1700 hours when it was apparent that the jets were diving down through the cloud which was from 9 – 11,000 ft. I climbed up through it, leaving Black 2 below, hoping to warn him when they dived. Then I did an orbit at 13,000 ft. to clear off the ice on the windscreen and sighted 3 M.E. 262s in Vic formation passing below me at cloud top level. I dived down behind them and closed in, crossing behind the formation and attacked the port aircraft which was lagging slightly. I could not see my sight properly as we were flying straight into the sun, but fired from dead astern, at a range of 350 yards, hitting it in the starboard jet with the second burst; at which the other 2 aircraft immediately dived into cloud. It pulled up slowly and turned to starboard and I fired obtaining more strikes on fuselage and jet which caught fire. The enemy rolled over on to its back and dived through cloud. I turned 180 and dived after it, calling on the R/T to warn my no.2; on breaking cloud I saw an aircraft hit the ground and explode about a mile ahead of me, at E.9859. I claim this M.E.262 destroyed. Black 2 also witnessed this explosion.

The Messerschmitt ME262A-2 of I./KG51 was flown by Fw. Rudolf Hoffmann (500642 9K + CL) was killed in the crash.

Last edited:
Thanks for lookin in.

Some bench time in the evenings, and today.
Some piping on the engine. The cowling will have been torn loose in the bullet damage.
Had to add some sheet to the slot in the wing. Resin is a bit skewiff.
Some gadgets in the cockpit. Cuz the decals were wanky....!
Gun berrels in the forward cavity only, too bloody difficult to scratch the guns and ammo stuff.
I did some detailing on the nose gear, it was not very well defined. It is a rather ollllld kit.
In the nose gear I drilled a .2mm hole in the pivot point of the hydraulic strut. Took three ,2mm drills, they are in the trash. Then cut the strut loose with an etched saw, they are .19mm thick. The wheel will have been damaged and halfway deployed........ cuz I can! You can just see a piece of elect cord wire in there.
It's all going rather quick, sure easier at 1/72nd!!!!!!

GB43_G2-1.jpg

Good stuff. Not sure if the port engine differs much from the starboard so may not matter if you swap it.

So your plan is to make a dio with this in the air then?

Good stuff. Not sure if the port engine differs much from the starboard so may not matter if you swap it.
Problem is it has the slanted leading edge as part of the casting, cannot swap. Engines are alike tho. port ans starboard.

So your plan is to make a dio with this in the air then?
But Not for the GB entry, just the Mk. XIV is entered, but will be airborne!

Oh ok. I was confused by your lead post which looked like the standard GB info required. Carry on!

So I've been doing odds and ends around the housw.
Improving spaces for my wifes hobby sewing and supplies!!!!!!
Got some bench time for this one.

Port wing is gonna be shot up, Engine exposed, one section of flap down, one section of slat extended and ailerons one up and one down.
For the Slat I just filed down the area the slat would sit in, then used a piece of etched material and formed a slat to fit, easy.
The flap was another story. It's why I make castings of them. It's front to back is longer on the bottom than the top. I had to cut into it at an angle out of the wing, didn't work that great and had to add a piece of styrene to the front of the wing that came off in cutting. It'll do.
The aileron came off easy, everything cleaned up rather nice.
Now back to GB42 and painting my Beaufort....... the paint arrived!!!!!!!!

GB43_G2-B3.jpg
GB43_G2-B4.jpg
GB43_G2-B5.jpg
GB43_G2-B6.jpg
GB43_G2-B7.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back