352nd Fighter Group "Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney" Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yeah the instruction said Brown and I've seen some with Interior Green (models not the real thing) and was confused. Thanks a bunch!

Nice work on the white H. And yes, the P51B/C had the wooden 'false' floor, like the 'D'. On the Allison engined P51s, the floor was actually the top of the wing, with a slight curve of the aerofoil, which is one of the reasons a plywood floor was later used. On the Tamiya P51B/C kits, the floor is like the Allison engined variants!!

The white looks really good Harrison but it looks like you need to mask more. Seems the elevators got a dose as well.

If you do this again, the suggested approach would be to do the white first, no masking, then once the white is fully cured mask completely over the white and then spray the silver.

The white looks really good Harrison but it looks like you need to mask more. Seems the elevators got a dose as well.

If you do this again, the suggested approach would be to do the white first, no masking, then once the white is fully cured mask completely over the white and then spray the silver.

Thanks Terry, Andy, Vic, and Wojtek.

Yeah I had a memory lapse....atleast it ain't the cockpit! Oh and great idea will do that on my next one.

The P51K had the Aeroproducts prop, without 'cuffs', and a 'Dallas' hood. Apart from that, externally they were identical, and only a few small detail changes internally, none of which can be seen on even a large scale model.
The D's Hamilton Standard prop (with cuffs) can be carved and sanded to the profile of the Aeroproducts prop, or get a white metal or resin repalcement, and Squadron do a vac-form 'Dallas' canopy.
The 'K' was just a 'D' built at Dallas, instead of Inglewood, but had the changes mentioned above. To be honest, anything below 1/32nd scale and the hood difference is hardly noticeable, although competition judges and 'anoraks' would spot it ! The 'Dallas' hood had a slightly higher 'domed' shape at the rear.

Ok,

Before you guys say I need to mask more I over masked. I had to fix an area and had to mask before the other paint dried. The white invasion stripes that are blue is actually paper taped down so they're safe and the rest, the blue over flow, will be covered when the aluminum goes on.

I will repaint the spinners last

Were the gear doors silver on the inside or Interior Green?

Other 2 photos show the P-51B

Attachments

• P7090218.JPG
    P7090218.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 96
  • P7090219.JPG
    P7090219.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 102
  • P7090220.JPG
    P7090220.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 95
  • P7090221.JPG
    P7090221.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 113
  • P7090222.JPG
    P7090222.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 106
SOme work has been done H~. But please tell me, .... why had you attached the spinner with the prop before you painted the fuselage blue?

Well, last time I tried building this (I'll look for the post) someone advised me it'd be better.

I'm getting conflicting reports! :lol:

And the overspray on the prop was intentional.

Good progress H. Don't forget, once the spinner, back plate and prop go together, you'll have to re-paint the spinner, to cover the joint.

And that was when I sprayed the spinner before attatching it. The paint is thick enough as it is...adding another coat would be suicidal.

Last edited:
I see Harry. But not always it is better to have a spinner and a prop attached before painting fuselage . Sometimes the kit instruction says it should be done in that way .But it can be incorrect and makes the matter of attaching and painting much difficult. For instance the Airfix kit manual prescribes it just at step #2 as the part is attached to the engine maquette.But we can't be sure about its fitting to the fuselage. So I have modified the procedure and left its mounting at the end of my work.In the way I could hold the model with its front part of the fuselage masked when painting.The spinner consists of two parts and a prop of course. I have airbrushed all parts separately.And then put them tohether.The effect below.

Attachments

• Dscn3201.jpg
    Dscn3201.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
I understand. But is your spinner the same color as the fuselage. For all the planes I'm building, the nose, spinner, are all the same color. Does that make a difference of should I wait till the end like you suggest?

No Harry the spinner isn't.The main cap is white and the rear part is of RLM70 Schwarzgrun. But it doesn't matter if it was painted with a few colours or it was of one colour. It is always easier to hold a model without a possibility of touching with fingers a fresh painted surface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back