A deviation from my rule: Tamiya A6M2 in 1:32

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very neat work, what's your secret to getting such a defined and clean line!

Hi Vic,
for strips I use a normal Tamiya masking tape while for shapes, like the Hinomaru, I found a very nice product, called Ultra Mask, very similar to the one used by people like Montex, see here:
Masking Film | Artool Airbrush Templates
It's expensive but very good, at least in my opinion.
Cheers
Alberto

Thanks Alberto, it would seem that the Ultra Mask product particularly the Hobby Mask is similar if not the same as Parafilm. Something which I have to pluck up the courage to try one day.

Hi everybody!

I finally gave a couple of coats of Future and added all decals suggested by instruction:

DSCN1850.JPG
DSCN1852.JPG
DSCN1853.JPG
DSCN1854.JPG
DSCN1855.JPG
DSCN1856.JPG
DSCN1857.JPG
DSCN1858.JPG
DSCN1859.JPG

Now is time to think on how to add some weathering, not only in term of post-shading on panel lines etc, but also I would like to lighten a little bit the Ameiro color. I hope I will find the most appropriate solution.
Cheers
Alberto

Your work looks more detailed than I expected.
Awesome!

For your knowledge, the word 'Ameiro' was a creation by Shigeru Nohara around 1980.
He predicted there could have been Ameiro(amber candy color) as a factory color but it was proved wrong later when the formal navy color specification sheet was found.

Attached photo: Ame(candy)

b0166435_2045583.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,
today I did panel post-shading and I should be able to take some pictures tomorrow morning.
But, as I want to display a bird with a little wear as well, I was thinking to add some chipping on wings etc.
So I have a question for the experts: which color should show under the chipped paint: silver for natural metal or the Aotake protective?
many thanks in advance.
Alberto

Many thanks Shinpachi, in facts I saw pictures showing this red-brown undercoat, but on later model Zeros, with the dark green paint on upper surfaces and I wasn't shure if this was applicable to my model as well.
Thanks again, now I know what I should do.
Alberto

A couple of pictures taken a few minutes ago, with just a pale sun that doesn't help to show contrasts:
DSCN1875.JPG
DSCN1876.JPG
DSCN1877.JPG

Chipping, exhaust gun smoke still to be added.
For the panel work I tried something new for me: Brunt umber GOUACHES
Cheers
Alberto

You don't have to apply too much chipping, this was still an early model zero, which would have been primed (Red brown as Shinpachi states) before painting so minimal erosion of the paint would have occurred, later in the war the primer was not used as much if at all and much more chipping could be found on the "Green' aircraft exposing the metal surfaces.

Many thanks to all for your very nice comments! :)
About chipping, I think I will not do any, first because what Wayne said above is an authoritative opinion to be taken in full consideration, but also because I went on the web to see if I could find any example of that chipping on early Zeros and I found nothing.
Now I just need to wait for a sunny day (end of the week?) in order to be able to spray some oil color to simulate exhaust stacking.
Then the little details and will be done!
Cheers
Alberto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back