A New Beer For Me, Czechvar....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep, when I was in the Czech republic back in '99, I payed (roughly recalculated) about 35 eurocent for half a liter of Urquel while in the NL it costed about 2 euro at that time. Never drank so much beer in so little time :drunken:

I´m happy I live in the country where the beer is not as expensive as in USA or Germany...yet:rolleyes: ...
That´s why I prefer draught beer...

I dont find beer here expensive at all. I can buy a rack of 24 beers in .5 LT Bottles for 9 Euros plus 3 Euro Pfand. I get the 3 Euros back when I bring the rack back.

A draught beer costs about 2 Euros to 2.50 Euros.

Draught beer ofcourse tastes the best.

I dont find beer here expensive at all. I can buy a rack of 24 beers in .5 LT Bottles for 9 Euros plus 3 Euro Pfand. I get the 3 Euros back when I bring the rack back.

A draught beer costs about 2 Euros to 2.50 Euros.

Draught beer ofcourse tastes the best.

Yep Adler, I know beer in bottles isn´t expensive.
But when I go to pub, I pay 70 cents for half of liter, 1 Euro for Pilsener Urquell which is the most expensive beer here. I mean draught beer...

Yep, when I was in the Czech republic back in '99, I payed (roughly recalculated) about 35 eurocent for half a liter of Urquel while in the NL it costed about 2 euro at that time. Never drank so much beer in so little time :drunken:

Yes Marcel, this is always heartbreaking for me when I have to pay for 5 beers in Netherland, Germany or Italy. I never say anything about the beer price there to my wife. Otherwise she would never let me go again for a bussines trip:rolleyes:

You guys are killing me. Being born in a country where the majority think Bud and Miller are the best Beers around. Then they look at me with disgust when I drink the stuff the rest of the world knows is the good stuff!!!
Someday, after I win the lotery it will be a trip to Europe to sample the best the world has to offer!!! Otherwise I'll have to get the home brewing equipement operational again and start making my own once more.

You guys are killing me. Being born in a country where the majority think Bud and Miller are the best Beers around. Then they look at me with disgust when I drink the stuff the rest of the world knows is the good stuff!!!
Someday, after I win the lotery it will be a trip to Europe to sample the best the world has to offer!!! Otherwise I'll have to get the home brewing equipement operational again and start making my own once more.

Buck, hope you´ll win soon:lol:

Looks like an update Beer thread what we have here! And look who's in charge... A Czecho! :D
I've always said that the Czech beer is the best in the universe. It is actually cheaper than water here... ;)

Beer is a major part of Czech culture and statistics show that it's plays bigger part in the lives of Czech people than in any other country in the world- and by a distance. Whereas the average Americas consumes 81 liters per year, the average Brit 99 liters, the Czech's consume 156 liters per person.

In the Czech Republic, you can drink beer in pubs, café's, street vendors and the public libraries. Anywhere. It is usual to see a Czech man sitting with his kids outside an ice cream parlor drinking a beer while his kids slurp down ice cream. Just to give you even more of an idea of its popularity, a famous saying in the country is "Beer makes beautiful bodies".

One reason is the price. While the Czech Republic is generally cheaper than its Western counterparts, 20k for 0.5 l of beer (about $1 or 50p) is not comparable to the 100k it costs in Britain. Furthermore, these are Prague prices and the cost goes down the further you are from the center. In Kladno the beer is more like 15k. It is surreal going to a Czech restaurant and seeing a pint of beer is the cheapest drink available, cheaper even than water. It is equally great to tell your friends back home you are saving money by drinking beer.

The importance of beer in the Czech Republic goes back as far as the ninth century when the first hops were cultivated. It soon became apparent that the Czech land had the perfect climate to grow the hops, by the 12th century, the first breweries appeared, and beer became big business and the nations biggest export. Neighboring countries such as Germany and Austria saw how well the Czech could cultivate and began to use them for their own beer.
source: Prague Blog - Traditional Czech beverages

What to drink ?
The most famous Czech drink is beer (pivo). A half-litter glass is often cheaper than a Coke or cup of coffee. The best-known Czech beer is Pilsner. Its name is derived from a town in western Bohemia called Plzen (Pilsen in German). Usually each pub is supplied by a single brewery. It means only one brand of beer is available, but several types might be on offer. The usual type is draught light beer (svetle) and in a number of beer halls serve special strong dark lagers (tmave). If you would like to taste an original Czech liqueur, order Becherovka. It is a bitter-sweet, yellow herbal drink. It can be served both as an aperitif and a liqueur or diluted with tonic.
source: Czech Travel Guide: eating drinking

And one more here: Czech Beer - Associated Content

Oh, and I'd almost forget one important fact! Hehehe... List of countries by beer consumption per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (guess who is the leading country ;) --- and compare with number of inhabitants :p)

CHIMAY BLUE.....

It's kinda a cross between Ice cream, sex and piloting a TA-152..

they also make white and red label...

sorry i couldn't find a larger pic :lol:

I meant to put this in the best beers thread... move it if you like. Thanks

Attachments

• 598_Chimay.JPG
    598_Chimay.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 99
CHIMAY BLUE.....

It's kinda a cross between Ice cream, sex and piloting a TA-152..

they also make white and red label...

sorry i couldn't find a larger pic :lol:

I meant to put this in the best beers thread... move it if you like. Thanks

Never heard about it before. Where is it from? Belgium?

Anyway, that guy in my siggy visited me here in 2005 for a first time and since that he doesn´t drink anything else than Pilsener. In 2006 we visited him in USA and the result? 2 ash cans full of beer bottles (Pilsener for sure) after 10 days. Don´t ya believe? Look at the picture:lol: . I think I´ve already posted it somewhere...
So at least one American believes Pilsener is one of the best beers:)

Attachments

• res.jpg
    res.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 111
Did you smuggle those or buy 'em in the US? I think the 2nd option, right?
Anyway, nice! :thumbleft:

Sure, we bought it there...In fact our friend before we arrived...It wouldn´t be easy to smuggle more or less 20 sixpacks:)
We smuggled slivovice back then. 2 litres in 7UP bottle. My friend was wondering why we brought 7UP to U.S... After we opened and he smelled the wind of Moravia, he understood and laughed like a kid:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back