A New Flying Tigers Movie Being Planned

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3

Pacific Historian
Jun 4, 2005
Orange County, CA
I hope this wont be turned into another "Pearl Harbor" type movie.

July 07, 2009
Min Lee, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
The Canadian Press, 2009

HONG KONG - "Mission: Impossible II" director John Woo's next movie will tell the story of the Flying Tigers - volunteer American pilots who defended China from Japanese attacks during the Second World War - his producer said Tuesday.

Woo plans to start shooting late this year, with most of the filming to take place next year, producer Terence Chang told The Associated Press in a phone interview. The project will be a collaboration with the government of southwestern Yunnan province, where some of the volunteer pilots were based, Chang said.

"The director hasn't shot anything in a long time. He's eager to film again," he said. Woo's last project was the US$80 million Chinese-language historical epic "Red Cliff," whose two instalments were released last July and January.

Chang said Woo's new film will be "very expensive" but declined to reveal the exact budget because the script hasn't been finalized. He said he hasn't secured funding for the movie yet.

The movie will feature U.S. Army Gen. Claire Chennault, the leader of the Flying Tigers, but also focus on the entire team of pilots that was credited with destroying 296 Japanese aircraft during seven months between 1941 and 1942, Chang said.

Woo's next film was supposed to be "1949," a romance set against the Chinese civil war of that year, but the project fell through because of a dispute with its Taiwanese investors.

Woo made his name in Hong Kong with stylish action thrillers like "A Better Tomorrow" and "Hard-Boiled" before moving to Hollywood, where his credits include "Broken Arrow," Face/Off" and "Mission: Impossible II." He returned to Chinese film last year with "Red Cliff.""

Chang also revealed details about another earlier announced project that Woo will supervise. He said the $10 million kung fu film called "The Sword and Jianghu" will star former Bond girl Michelle Yeoh and South Korean actor Jung Woo-sung.

That Chinese-language movie, which Taiwanese director Su Chao-pin will start shooting in Shanghai in October, is about the son of a Ming dynasty official who unwittingly falls in love with a female contract killer who murdered his father

Last edited:
I see it different. There is not enough attention paid to these guys anymore. A very high budget film would be nice. I am looking forward to seeing this one and the Red Tails movie that John Lucas is filming.

Last edited:
I think as long as Woo stays out of Hollywood and keeps in China making films we will see some good ones emerge.

I agree with most of the comments. I don't want to see another Pearl Harbour type movie but at the same time the exposure is needed to show what these guys did. Now if they pick the right actors and a good plot then it will turn out alright. If they don't I think it will not be a great film historically wise but maybe not quite on the scale of Pearl Harbour.

Why ANOTHER remake? Nobody has imagination enough to find another WWII story to bring to the screen? I think they're just being lazy.

Remake? I seriously doubt they will dust off they script from the John Wayne movie. The story of the Flying Tigers is rich enough to support more than one film.

Hell, if they do it right, it could improve the impressions that some Chinese citizens have of Americans.
... for those that are permitted to see the film.

Hmmmm....with John Woo's name on it, I'll see it, but flip the braincell into "mindless entertainment" mode instead of "historically accurate" mode. One mode causes drooling, the other would result (most probably) in a short-circuit.

Agree with pretty much all the above comments, though. Hollywood has lost its creativity, thus all the remakes and "cookie-cutter" action films. WW2 has an almost limitless supply of stories that SHOULD be told, from all sides of the war. And nobody ever really touches on WW1 anymore, either. So yeah, I look forward to this coming out, and the Red Tails one, too.

On a similar note...someone shoot Spike Lee if he even considers the possibility of making another WW2 movie. I'd rather watch Ben Afleck hack up Pearl Harbor than that Miracle at St Anna atrocity.

I'm sure it will be over the top, but if Nick Cage and Ben Afflack aren't in it, it should be ok. I bet the flying scene's will be fun (probably not too accurate, but fun)

I look to documentaries for historical accuracy (with a grain of salt, of course....). I look to Hollywood for gross exaggeration and special-effects entertainment.

Considering how PC hollywood is, I think you'll get another "Flyboys". Nice concept, lousy performance. In other words, they'll re-write history and do a bad job of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back