Ahmadinejad refuses to rule out nuclear weapons. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think it's more of the rhetoric then anything else. If Israel and sworn to wipe off a Muslim country off the map I'm sure there would have been some serious concern when they had gotten the weapon- just as if any Western country had done the same.

I agree and was not trying to equate Israel and Iran. I think a lot of Iranian (and other islamic states) rhetoric stems from them feeling misunderstood and unfairly treated by the western world. Israel's nuclear program is just as illegal as Iran's. They focus this resentment particularly on the U.S. as the pre-eminent western power. We really do need to communicate with these people though I appreciate that it is difficult to talk to someone who is holding a grenade and threatening to kill you!

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said it is not necessary to hold discussions with the West, Reuters reported.

"Iran's nuclear issue has been resolved ... We will hold no talks (with major powers) over this issue. There is no need for talks," Ahmadinejad told state television, according to Reuters.

Ahmadinejad: 'Friendly Relations' With U.N. Nuclear Watchdog Are Over - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News - FOXNews.com

I thought our new, friendly, soft power would woo them into our coalition for sure.

For the first time ever, Israel has called ALL of its ambassadors and consuls home for meetings this week in Jerusalem.

First Heads of Mission Conference to be held in Jerusalem-24-Dec-2009
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, headed by Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs Avigdor Liberman, will host a conference next week (27-31 December) for Israeli Heads of Missions. At the conference, Israel's ambassadors and consuls general serving throughout the world will discuss broad diplomatic and strategic issues.

This is the first time a conference for all of Israel's Heads of Missions has been held. The idea is to facilitate direct dialogue with the country's leaders, mutual updates on major diplomatic issues, and a discussion of action plans to deal with the challenges awaiting the State of Israel in the international arena in the coming year, including the Iranian threat.

Something has to give and it looks like it's in the works. If the US/UN/EU isn't getting it together and stopping this, then the Israelis will probably do it themselves. Nothing new there. But I don't think they can get it done. To stop the Iranians building a bomb, there have to be sustained airstrikes, not just one timer. And that's probably beyond the Israeli capability. They can set them back some, but...

That recall of the Ambassadors is a worrying development.

I am 100% pro-Isreali and hope and that the west continues to back Isreal. Things have not been good for the Isrealis this year.

Things are looking pretty chaotic in Iran right now, the people are rioting heavy in the streets. The Police have been shooting into the crowds again, but this time the civilians are shooting back.

This could one of two ways...one being the government of Ahmanutjob gets toppled and the people get the more pro-democratic guy in there.

Or, Ahmanutjob decides to totally crack down on the people and uses that as an excuse to hurl a few missiles at Israel to create an internal diversion. (you know the rhetoric: It's Israel's fault for the civil unrest, the U.S. made him do it, blah blah blah)

Nuclear exchanges frighten the hell out of me. If Iran did fire five or six nukes at Israel, could Israel retaliate? If they could not, would the west undertake a massive retaliation on her behalf?

If the ayrhabs did pull the nuclear trigger, there should be a massive, unequivocal and terrifying response. The Arabs think we are weak because they think in essentially medieval terms. If it was us at their mercy, they would hesitate to cut half our heads off, and enslave the rest of us. Because we struggle with feelings of guilt and moral correctness, they just think we are pissants, deserving of no respect at all.....

If the ayrhabs did pull the nuclear trigger, there should be a massive, unequivocal and terrifying response. The Arabs think we are weak because they think in essentially medieval terms. If it was us at their mercy, they would hesitate to cut half our heads off, and enslave the rest of us. Because we struggle with feelings of guilt and moral correctness, they just think we are pissants, deserving of no respect at all.....

If they take a shot at Israel, they'll shoot back. Nuclear exchange, definitely. However, I don't think the US would get involved at that level. I honestly don't think the guy in the white house would get involved. Even with the Isaelis getting hit first, I think President Obama would not react. The guy isn't that type (and I think our enemies know it) The Israelis would launch and that would be that.

The question that pops into my mind is how much is going to go back and forth. I've heard the Israelis have in excess of 100 warheads. But what do the Iranians have? I wouldn't be suprised if they had a couple, up to half a dozen or so, nukes at present. But the delivery system and yield are questionable. If the Iranians do send a nuke at Israel, how many will they send back? With a "one nuke country" like Israel, it could be a full retaliation because there's not much left at home.

Or smuggling them across the borders in trucks, and detonating them without any sort of warning. It'd be the ultimate suicide-bomber's wet-dream. Or try to get them close to an Israeli nuke site, pop em off, and then sit back and claim that it was their own faulty nukes that went. See? No launches from MY country...!

Nuclear exchanges frighten the hell out of me. If Iran did fire five or six nukes at Israel, could Israel retaliate? If they could not, would the west undertake a massive retaliation on her behalf?

Some slight political errors in your view
Iranians aren't Arabs, they're Persians and Arab/Persian relations are probably a damn sight more strained than Arab/Western relations; any strike by the Persians would probably have the Arab world looking to the West rather than rising up against it. It's not an unrealistic scenario, Egypt are hardly bosom buddies of Israel, but M'Barak laughed (in a political sense) at Saddam Hussein's attempt to draw Israel into Desert Storm with the Scud launches and bear in mind that both Egypt and Iraq are Arab nations - M'Barak wasn't going to let Hussein play the ethnic card.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back