Airfix 1/24 scale Bf109E.....or a bed of thorns

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That's true Terry. The RLM65 colour looks really very odd without other paints applied.

Jan you are right as well. :lol:

Then I started working on the cockpit conopy. Because I decided to make the E-3 variant I had to use the early cockpit conopy set. Of course the one for E-4 comes with the kit as well. Because the "glass" is "armour" type and not too smooth ( especially the windshield ) I had to clean the mess with sanding and polishing. When it was done I masked it with the Tamiya tape.

Attachments

• cock2.jpg
    cock2.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 461
  • cock2a.jpg
    cock2a.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 245
  • cock2b.jpg
    cock2b.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 448
  • cock2c.jpg
    cock2c.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 244
  • cock3.jpg
    cock3.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 452
  • cock4.jpg
    cock4.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 459
Thank you Sir !!! :D

Having these parts of the cockpit conopy masked I started its painting with RLM02 as the first one. Also I removed the Mascol protection from the rear part of the conopy.

Attachments

• cock1.jpg
    cock1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 431
  • cock1a.jpg
    cock1a.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 463
  • cock5.jpg
    cock5.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:
THX Mates. :D

Of course the new trouble has appeared immediately. Look at these shots below. It appeared the windshield didn't fit to the fuselage because it went too deep into the cockpit hole.To make the matter worse , the whole set of the cockpit glass was too short. A 2mm gap in front of the windscreen can be noticed.It is really strange because the cockpit set for E-4 variant fits correctly.

"KM" I cursed in Polish and opened a can of T-stoff.

Attachments

• cock6b1.jpg
    cock6b1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 259
  • cock6b.jpg
    cock6b.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 463
  • cock6a.jpg
    cock6a.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 263
  • cock6.jpg
    cock6.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:
How annoying ! I seem to remember having a problem in that area with the instrument panel being too far back, into the cockpit, but the windscreen fitted OK.

If the voodoo is a 2mm wide strip of styrene, that's it. :lol:

First of all I added thin plastic bars to the bottom edges of the windshield. It caused the part went up slightly.It was enough to get the correct height of that. Secondly I cut off 2mm styrene strip and bended it going with the curvature of the front edge of the windshield and the rear one of the fuselage accordingly.
Then I stuck it with Superglue to the glassy part.

Attachments

• cw1d.jpg
    cw1d.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 229
  • cw1c.jpg
    cw1c.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 214
  • cw1b.jpg
    cw1b.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 439
  • cw1a.jpg
    cw1a.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 414
  • cw1.jpg
    cw1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 418
THX Mates...:)

The next step was fitting of course.And certainly sanding was needed too. Because it would be difficult to attach the indicator panel with the gunsight later I did it at the stage. Finally I have achieved the effect you can see in pics below.

Attachments

• cw2.jpg
    cw2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 256
  • cw3.jpg
    cw3.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 458
  • cw4.jpg
    cw4.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 476
  • cw4a.jpg
    cw4a.jpg