Airfix 1/24 scale Bf109E.....or a bed of thorns

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The compressor must have gotten the wind up and started working quite good. So I have applied the second coat of the RLM02 and removed masking when it was dried of course. At the stage the model painting looked quite nice as I achieved an interesting effect of lightened panels and darker areas going along rivet lines.

Attachments

• camo3.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 272
  • camo3a.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 285
  • camo3b.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 475
  • camo3c.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 278
  • camo3d.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 278
How did you do the darkening effect along the rivet lines? Preshading?

THX Gents..

No Glenn it's not the preshading.It's the effect of sanding panels. Because the model was painted with RLM65 overall , the paint became a kind of a surfacer for RLM02 and RLM71. When I was sanding these panels I was trying to do it mildly.As a result the first layer of the RLM02 got lighter tonality because of the RLM65 background. I didn't sand these rivet lines because I didn't want to loose them. The second coat of RLM 02 was applied with the paint slightly lightened with a white one and thinned more that the first one.

And the first step in mottling....I airbrushed RLM71 free-hand. Note please, at the areas where swastika should be I sticked squares of thick cardboard slightly larger than these markings.In the two shots the masking has already been removed.

Attachments

• cam4e.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 318
  • cam4f.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
That's very kind of you Gents..

But I wasn't glad with that.And as the next step I corrected the mottling a little bit.

Attachments

• cam5d.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 279
  • cam5c.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 281
  • cam5b.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 286
  • cam5a.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 710
  • cam5.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 298
THX fellas

Where is Harry? Here something for him...
The underside of the Bf109 nose was painted yellow like the engine top cowling. Applying of a few colours, I mean yellow, white and red for instance is often a pain in ( you know where ). But there is a way that lets us to do quite easy. The main problem is a backgroud on that a paint has to be applied. A nice solution for that is a coat of another paint or gloss ( semi-gloss ) dope. For example the rudder for the model had been airbrushed with a matt white before I applied the yellow gloss enamel Humbrol 69. For painting of the nose I used matt Humbrol 154 and gloss Humbrol 69. I used the Humbrol 154 as a primer. Somebody can ask why in that way .Alll matt oil enamels stick to a surface very good and better than acrylic water paints.These make surfaces matt and let paints cling to a surface better. It also prevents against peeling. In addition a can of Humbrol enamel is usually cheaper than most of primers.

But back to painting.Of course I have masked all holes and surfaces around firstly. And then airbrushing the Humbrol 154 colour.

Attachments

• cam6.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 262
  • cam6a.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 256
  • cam6b.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 262

Users who are viewing this thread