AIRFIX 1/24th Mosquito

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bromo

Airman
Jul 14, 2011
Wolverhampton UK
The Airfix 1/24th Mosquito, probably the finest twin engine fighter/bomber of WW11 This kit has it all full cockpit,bomb bay,two highly detailed engines,fullly detailed 20mm cannon and 303 brownings and the option of four crew members.I started this on another forum so i will post all the pics up to date.
397716940.jpg

397716941.jpg

397716944.jpg

lots of detail but lots of ejector pin marks as well i decided to fill and sand them all:shock:
397716948.jpg

397716949.jpg

397716950.jpg

397716961.jpg

After loads of filling and sanding it was nice to get the glue and paint out and start on the cockpit floor and bulkheads and the pilots seat.

397716969.jpg

397716980.jpg

397716989.jpg

397717003.jpg

Finaly getting painted parts glued together and i can see some progress,
397717012.jpg

397720217.jpg

you cant get away from those ejector pin marks
397720219.jpg

397720222.jpg

Well thats the build up to date more progress and pics when it happens

Looks nice so far but will you be able to see all the detail once it's closed up. If not I don't see the point of having it. My fulmar and the barracuda I'm doing is a case in point they added some nice detail but when you closed everything up most of it you can't see.

I suppose by having that stuff that's how they justify the cost of the kit and to get people to buy it in the first place.

But back to your kit how big is it, would it be safe to say the size of a 1/48 b17 or 24 or bigger than that?.

Looks nice so far but will you be able to see all the detail once it's closed up. If not I don't see the point of having it. My fulmar and the barracuda I'm doing is a case in point they added some nice detail but when you closed everything up most of it you can't see.

I suppose by having that stuff that's how they justify the cost of the kit and to get people to buy it in the first place.

But back to your kit how big is it, would it be safe to say the size of a 1/48 b17 or 24 or bigger than that?.
All the access panels can be removed to the 303,s and the 20mm, bomb bay is open or closed,cockpit access door can be posed open and the cockpit canopy is crystal clear so all that will be visable.Both engines can be seen all covers are removeable.I have both the B24 and the B17 in the stash so i will take a couple of pics for you of the fusalges and wings side by side,but she is a big kit.Where it goes when finished is something i am in negotiation with the household authority over.
Thanks to every one else for the kind words.

nice start mate, so trying to slip a hangar by the Missus huh! :lol:

Yea trying is the word! building is no problem with her as the bench is up the loft(attic) its the displaying where the tensions start.Still she bought me this kit so she cant moan when it takes over half the lounge can she?

You know Martin, I( was blown away by all the detail of this build. Wow what a great builder you are but then I realized it was almost a full scale mosquito and though better of my cheers of your efforts. :D:D

Just kidding mate that is some awesome work. I think you need to get something in the same scale for a certain 4 engine build coming up. :rolleyes:

You know Martin, I( was blown away by all the detail of this build. Wow what a great builder you are but then I realized it was almost a full scale mosquito and though better of my cheers of your efforts. :D:D

Just kidding mate that is some awesome work. I think you need to get something in the same scale for a certain 4 engine build coming up. :rolleyes:
Hey Dirk i was wondering if you were okay,firking through the box trying to find parts it feels like im rebuilding a full size one.As to the certain GB your joking arnt you 6 weeks,im going for an airliner nice and simple,one of those 1/72 747,s should be a peice of cake! what are you going to build? you got to do something mate

I understand that mossie is maybe the best kit airfix has ever made, i have seen some really impressive builds of it.

The level of detail is just astounding, kudos for even starting such a project.

Nice one. I'm looking forward to keeping up on your progress on this build, as I have one in my stash (last year's Christmas present) but, so far, have been petrified of starting it, in case I **** it up.

Are you doing an OOB build? The reason I ask is that I've come across some build logs in another forum and one particular guy was less than happy with some aspects of the kit's accuracy, particularly fuselage detail and the exhaust stacks. If you're interested, I'll post you some links. Otherwise, best of luck with the build.

Hey Dirk i was wondering if you were okay,firking through the box trying to find parts it feels like im rebuilding a full size one.As to the certain GB your joking arnt you 6 weeks,im going for an airliner nice and simple,one of those 1/72 747,s should be a peice of cake! what are you going to build? you got to do something mate

That's the plan but we've got some time between now and then. What i commit to now might not have the same draw by the time the build actually starts. it's the ADD in me. Oh something shiny... gotta go....

Looks good Martin.
Is that can of Carlsberg going in the bomb-bay? :)

cheers

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back