AIRFIX 1/24th Mosquito

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great start on a great kit Martin. One small point thigh - wartime Mossies would not have the cushion in the 'bucket' of the pilot's seat, this was where the seat-type parachute pack fitted.

I understand that mossie is maybe the best kit airfix has ever made, i have seen some really impressive builds of it.

The level of detail is just astounding, kudos for even starting such a project.
Hey Chris is that you? you will have to let me know what went on.I just hope i can do all that detail justice.

Martin

Nice one. I'm looking forward to keeping up on your progress on this build, as I have one in my stash (last year's Christmas present) but, so far, have been petrified of starting it, in case I **** it up.

Are you doing an OOB build? The reason I ask is that I've come across some build logs in another forum and one particular guy was less than happy with some aspects of the kit's accuracy, particularly fuselage detail and the exhaust stacks. If you're interested, I'll post you some links. Otherwise, best of luck with the build.
Cheers Gerry,yep she will be almost oob,i will be getting some seat belts,new resin 303 amo feeds,and some new u/c doors.I have,nt seen anything about the exhausts i have seen a build where the guy put the reinforcing tapes on the wings and fusalage but i am happy with the detail.I was/am scared of ****** it up but the lure of finnishing it was to great,i would say just do it.

Martin

That's the plan but we've got some time between now and then. What i commit to now might not have the same draw by the time the build actually starts. it's the ADD in me. Oh something shiny... gotta go....
You will be there, i,ll find some way of getting your intrest up,maybe bribery

Great start on a great kit Martin. One small point thigh - wartime Mossies would not have the cushion in the 'bucket' of the pilot's seat, this was where the seat-type parachute pack fitted.
I wondered about this,all the photos i found had the cushion.The seat pan when compared to the 1/24th fighters is a lot shallower,i took this to mean a seat type pack would not fit.If you have some pics though that you could share or give me a link to i would be grateful.

Cheers Martin

Martin, I have a few 35mm 'trannies' of the now lost BAe T111 (basically the same as the FBVI), but I need to get my tranny scanner back from a friend, so can't promise when I can scan them.
However, having been in two Mossies, and having the honour and privilege of knowing a number of Mossie crews, I can state that the pilot's seat was definitely a bucket for the 'chute.
Problem with companies taking patterns off preserved aircraft is that they tend to replicate exactly what they see - and of course, those preserved Mossies will normally have some form of cushioin to fill the bucket, otherwise people couldn't sit on the seat!
Bottom line - bin the cushion, and leave the seat pan empty !

Martin, I have a few 35mm 'trannies' of the now lost BAe T111 (basically the same as the FBVI), but I need to get my tranny scanner back from a friend, so can't promise when I can scan them.
However, having been in two Mossies, and having the honour and privilege of knowing a number of Mossie crews, I can state that the pilot's seat was definitely a bucket for the 'chute.
Problem with companies taking patterns off preserved aircraft is that they tend to replicate exactly what they see - and of course, those preserved Mossies will normally have some form of cushioin to fill the bucket, otherwise people couldn't sit on the seat!
Bottom line - bin the cushion, and leave the seat pan empty !

Cheers for that i will take your word for it ,and sods law did some more diging on the nett and photo,s of the seat with no cushion!!! Wonder why they didnt relise this ,all that time and effort and drop a relly silly clanger? im going to e-mail Airfix about this.See what sort of reply i get.

It's not unknown for model manufacturers to replicate parts which would not be on production aircraft, but were on the airframe used for the mould patterns. Even battle damage repair patches have been known to appear !

It's not unknown for model manufacturers to replicate parts which would not be on production aircraft, but were on the airframe used for the mould patterns. Even battle damage repair patches have been known to appear !
Tamiya did that with the Beufighter,have spent most of tonight trying to get the cushion out without destroying the seat or breaking the seat mounting points,bother bloody bother.

Martin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back