Airfix 1:72 scale He 177

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A slightly more convincing propeller than the kit supplies. I made a template out of brass shim stock and traced them out on some styrene and sanded them to size.

he177038_zpsb14b4ace.jpg

I ended up just painting the red dotted lines and the yellow and red labels with a fine brush, thanks for the info on them. Also a bit of weathering using water based paints. Looking at it now I can see that the rake on the landing gear is'nt right but it's not something I'm going to worry about at this point. I'm definately going to pick up the Revell kit at some point. This one is a BEAR !!

he177037_zps6d01136c.jpg

he177036_zps1dd6fb2c.jpg

The flash tubes on the machine guns along with the sights I made by pulling strips of wine bottle foil through a jewelers die to make tubes. Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel !! And then back to the Me Gigant !

As you can see from the kit prop the front and rear of the spinner fit beautifully together ! Once I snipped the blades off I drilled out the holes to locate the blades with a pin vise. Then I chucked it up in a drill and used sand paper to smooth it out. Then sprayed 3 coats of white fairly heavy. After it had dried for a few hours I sanded it by hand with 1000 grit paper. I masked off the stripe with a thin strip of masking tape and sprayed black. It was very easy to do. In fact in the future instead of farting around with decals or hand painting I think Ill just snip off the blades and then glue them back on after.

Rounding the back nine. All's left is doing up the Henschell glide bombs which are just nasty as far as fit. lots of filling and sanding and a light wash over the fuselage and a bit more weathering and this bad boy is getting ready for the shelf !

he177045_zpscab5cf4f.jpg

he177044_zpsbfd0b812.jpg

You've done a cracking job on that old dog !
If I didn't know, I would never have guessed, from the photos, that it's the old Airfix kit - great job !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back