Armour Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

muller

Tech Sergeant
Apr 7, 2008
Hibernia
I suggested in another thread that Cory (Catch22) and myself could build a couple of tanks. Cory has a 1/35 Tamiya Panther V Ausf. G, I have a 1/35 Tamiya Panzer IV Ausf. D.

Well she's been started. :)

This kit must have been once sold as a motorised version, there are spaces for batteries and holes in the bottom for a switch and other stuff. So I filled them in using plastic card and filler and used a coffee stirrer to strengthen the bottom and fill in the 2 holes in the side too.

SL382617.jpg

SL382619.jpg

SL382620.jpg

SL382623.jpg

SL382624.jpg

Upper hull with additional armour for the late version added. Ventilated doors over engine for Afrika korps version added and gun completed.

SL382626.jpg

Turret completed with toolbox on rear. All bits primed and dry fitted.

SL382627.jpg

SL382628.jpg

Next update in about a month.... after I paint all the wheels! :D

Cool Corey, I'm going to take my time with this on, lot's time till the MTO GB.

Aw heck! Here we go! You've just given me a kick in the butt to finish some of my armour stuff now! I'll join in soon, as I've got a PzKfw IVH to finish, plus ten vehicles for a Normandy diorama already done, just waiting for the fairly large base - but that's a loooonnng job!!

I like it...the L/24 is a favourite of mine.

Looks like the guy has a .22 pistol until you get hit and you find he was carrying a .44 magnum!

Darryl

More armour builds?! Cool! :D

I wanted to try a weathering method I've read about to see how it looks. So I tried it on the drive sprockets.

Wheels primed and painted with XF-9 (Hull Red)....

wheels3.jpg

Gave them a coat of Klear, when dry, sprayed them with some hairspray, and while still wet sprinkled some salt on...

wheels2-1.jpg

Then when dry, i gave them a coat of XF-59 (Desert Yellow)....

wheels1-1.jpg

When dry, washed the wheels with a brush soaked in water to remove the salt...

wheels-1.jpg

I'm happy with how they turned out! :)

Sorry for the lack of updates on this one, I've been busy learning how to paint backwards! I'm training on a new machine in work and my trainer is into RC racing. 1/8 scale off-road vehicles, 2 stroke engines, I think they use methanol for fuel. When he heard I have an airbrush, he asked me to spray a new body for his 'truggy'. I'm practicing with Tamiya acrylics on sheets of acetate. He wants a blue/white/orange scheme with flames! You have to paint the clear body on the inside so you need to paint backwards, it's a bit strange, different from how we paint models, I'll post pics of the results.

So the tank has been on the backburner for a while. I've got it painted and decaled. I used the 'salt chipping' method on the body too. Most 'D's' went to North Africe painted panzer grey, the earlier ones were covered in mud which dried to a sandy colour, later the upper surfaces and outer wheels were roughly painted in the field with desert yellow. So I've left the undersides grey.

SL382653.jpg

Keith, do you work in santas shop or something? You spring these tanks up so quick, and I thought "tank" modeling was more difficult in several perspectives! Looking great, maybe one day you can make a how to model "armor" thread. I might want to make a scout car or something.

Cheers lads :) Mag check out some of the armour modelling forums, there's loads of tips on them for building and weathering, armorama.com is a good one. I reckon armour building is a lot quicker than aircraft cos you can put it all together then paint it.

Great work Keith!

Your comment about the motor, I agree. I used to build 1:35 Tamiya stuff in the 80'as and remember their PzKpfw II had the same cutouts. There may even have been a comment that it was designed as such, but no motor was supplied if I remember right.

Is this a proper unofficial build? Would Airfield ground vehicles, and light tow vehicles (Kettenkraftrad, etc) count?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back