Armour Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cheers lads, Evan I wouldn't call it a proper unofficial build, anything goes! :)

Got an oil wash on it last night, dry-brushed the hard edges and raised bits with WEM panzer grey and then gave it a flat coat.

SL382658.jpg

I made a bit of a mistake last week, I sprayed the whole hull rust, then salted the undersides and sprayed with grey. Then I left it, I shouldn't have, you're supposed to wash the salt off straight away, but I left it for about 3 or 4 days. When I washed it off I found that the salt had reacted with the paint and left patches of white residue all over the undersides, the oil wash last night didn't get rid of it, it just toned it down a bit, but I think it looks really good!

SL382660.jpg

Back to painting wheels now.

Great job Keith. That's the one thing I don't like about building tanks, especially PzKfw III or IV - painting the tyres on all those bl**dy wheels!

Guttorm, the Normandy stuff has been packed in boxes for about 14 years! It was going to be a very large diorama at the company I was involved with, running tanks and other vehicles, back in 1995. I've had to plan to reduce the size of the base though, so that I can fit it into my house - somewhere! It'll now be around 2 feet x 4 feet (60 x 110cm). When I've figured out just exactly where to put it, and how much a glass or Perspex case will cost, then I can build the base! It'll be a cross roads, with a small garage or barn, and a copse of trees where PzKfw IV's, and other vehicles, of 21st Pz Div are re-fuelling and re-arming, with an officer's 'O' Group meeting at a Company H.Q. area.
I can post pics of the group of vehicles and figures etc, if that would help?

Thanks for the positive comments lads :) Sorry I haven't been around lately, modem problems!

I've been working away on the panzer though, got lots of pics. I tried some weathering methods posted in last months FSM.

Oil dot method!

SL382673.jpg

Used a brush soaked in white spirits to blend it in.

SL382674.jpg

Some tools painted and in place.

SL382681.jpg

SL382682.jpg

Wheels painted.... lots of wheels! :crazyeyes:

SL382684.jpg

Wheels on and given a dirty wash.

SL382685.jpg

Scratched a new cable with some wire, fuel/water cans bucket painted, trying some scratched blanket/tarps.

SL382687.jpg

Cable painted and in place, using it to hold some extra tracks. I just need to add the kit part eyelets to the new cable.

SL382691.jpg

Also painted the blankets and put in place to see how they look.

SL382690.jpg

Apologies for the crappy workbench pics! :)

I just need to paint and add the tracks now, and then a bit more weathering with a dusting of Tamiya Buff all over and I want to add some turf ash from the fire around the wheels to simulate dust and sand.

Also I need to weather the added bits individually. It's taking a bit longer than I anticipated.

I might build a base for it too, on the look out for some DAK figures.

That paint job is cool as hell, I have never seen that technique before. When I saw the first pic it reminded me of the movie "Kelly's Heros" firing paint shells as it made "pretty colors"

Dam fine job!

Great work Keith. Having done quite a few PzKfw IV's, I know what it's like painting and detailing all those bl**dy wheels!
I like the 'oil dot' weathering, it' s turned out very well indded. I've only ever seent that once before, on a Mosquito build in a magazine, and I didn't think it made much difference, but yours look fantastic - great job. Tamiya have some god DAK figures I beleive. just re-issued, and another company have also just released some, I think Italeri and/or Dragon. If the latter, their figures are extremely good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back