Back in Time to Old Japan

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys!

PA1603934S.JPG

Hello and Thanks for your comment, Capt.Vick!

My frank impression about our old temples and shrines is .....
I don't know which style you would be in favor but I wonder why they don't try repaint the columns periodically.
The building and the statues could have been much more colorful like original Chinese ones when they were brandnew.

When I visited a rebuilt ancient architecture in Nara City last year, it was still brandnew and very colorful in scarlet, white and green. I liked it but an old man beside me shouted "This is too colorful to worship!" :shock:

Attached photos are the rebuilt one I prefer.
Please try compare.
Thanks!

DSC00529S.JPG
DSC00602S.JPG
DSC00609S.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments, Messy1, Gnomey and GG.

Yes, your understanding is correct GG. So did I till I checked original Chinese colorful architectures in Taipei, Taiwan twenty years ago.
Those brilliant colors overwhelmed me perfectly.

A good point, Mike:shock:
This is of ourse a sort of accessory to make the building look luxurious but its actual role is to hide the rivet which connects the handrail and the prop.
Thanks for the nice question:)

That decoration is called "Hohju" which means a precious stone. If my memory is correct, including the metal work surrounding it, that symbolizes flame which avoids demons.

Attached photo also shows an original state of Hohju though its gold plate has been faded away.
Thanks.

PA160318trimmed_S.JPG

I'll be waiting for you, Mike!

Since I started researching about 'Hohju', even a fire alarm lamp looks it:)
Yes, it has quite similar atmosphere.

G-1005B_main.jpg

Neat stuff. I found a DVD a while back that I watched last night called "Japan's War, in color". It has all color footage, most of it from Japan with a lot of real rare film as well. It was neat to see Osaka and other places in 1937. It was an interesting glimpse into old time Japan. I have been enjoying this thread and watching the DVD last night added more to my look at Japan. Technology has helped make the world a smaller place. :)

I agree. Language difference was a big obstacle for the peoples to understand each other but the digital technology and the internet have made it much smaller with tons of videos! Thanks for your curiosity on our culture, Eric:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back