Back in Time to Old Japan

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Mike for your frank comment. That makes me easier to go on:)

OK, please compare these old statues of ancient sense with my last photo.
They show vigor or grace by simplified body lines disregarding anatomy.
This is the remarkable difference between the old-fashioned and the modernized I said.

PA160351S.JPG

PA160357S.JPG

PA160382S.JPG

PA160371S.JPG

That may be another point I did not notice, Mike.
Thank you very much.

They are Gods to protect Buddha and people form every evil thing with menace, so they may look angry.
The man statue of modern is also God called General Basara(or Vajra in India). His role is same as other Gods.

Here is another photo of old statue General Basara at Yakushiji Temple.
He shows his atmost menace too.

Basara.jpg

Statues of Buddha and Bodhisattva never show menace but gentleness and peace.

PA160331S.JPG

PA160386S.JPG

PA1603334S.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Aaron and GG for your kind comments too:)
Please check more pics of Todaiji Temple in Nara City beginning from the southern gate into the main hall.
Nice place to visit.

(Totally twelve pics.)

00.JPG
01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG
04.JPG
05.JPG
06.JPG
07.JPG
08.JPG
09.JPG

Attachments

• 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    274.2 KB · Views: 135
Thanks for sharing those interesting photos of maybe one and a half century ago, Eric!

The building of fourth photo today.
It's Kinkakuji Temple in Kyoto and not so much changed:shock:
1024-768.jpg

... and, referring to the 14th photo, reproduced jinrikisha(ricksha or rickshaw) for tourists in Nara City today.
PA160300S.JPG

Last edited:
Absolutely stunning Shinpachi, what a shame that these statutes have to be protected by a metal grate. I also love those literal translations, guess I could not use that bathroom

lol, sometimes English is weirdly sounding when taken litteraly or with connotations of riskiness/ohh er misses...

Water Closet; why would you keep water in a closet - wouldn't it flood out when you opened the door?
Taxi Rank; does that mean a taxi parked in the rank is d'sgusting/offputting? (can a mod please maybe stop that 'D' word becoming half emote sometime - it is quite vexing)
Scumbag; was an 18th Centuary English ( older) insult, when calling it to someone, it implied they are/were a 'used condom' or bag of scum - now demoted to generaly something children might say to each other.
Mince Pies (at Chrimbo); in medieval times they did have sweet meats in, nowerdays they don't - we no longer think of minced and spiced meat(s) being needed in each meals courses or in every serving, i.e, in cakes/pies/flans/ desserts too; or that pies were minced out into pie mince through a mincer (a kitchen used, screw type extrution machine.)

Last edited:
I always thought "water closet" made sense, as in a "closet" (small room) in which "water" could be kept in a container as clothes are kept on/in their containers drawers/hangers/etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back