Back in Time to Old Japan

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Shinpachi

Lieutenant Colonel
Feb 17, 2008
Osaka
In the evening a few days ago, I came across an old shutter door in my neighborhood.
This is a kitchenware shop since 1918 but I did not know what's on it as I always walked there in the daytime.

Wow:shock:

Attachments

• Old_shop.JPG
    Old_shop.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 464
I guess the owners are/were proud to import German steel kitchenware - and THAT was the symbol passersby would associate with Germany - Japan's ally and German QUALITY. I'm just guessing, :) yes, but what is most amazing is what you captured - a snapshot back to distant era in time. Great find, Shinpachi. Thanks,

MM
Proud Canadian

Thanks for your good explanation, michaelmaltby:)
Thanks for your kind comments, syscom3, Gnomey and FLYBOYJ too:)

very intersting. I have a question though. Roller shutters were not invented until 1956, so i think this painted sign is a post war addition.

Doesn't have the "aged" and weathered look of something that's been around since the 40's, unless its been purposefully touched-up over the years. Interesting find, though, Shinpachi!

This is the outside/inside of the shop in daytime.
I had no chance to interview with them today.

Attachments

• P9060014S.JPG
    P9060014S.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 401
  • P9060016S.JPG
    P9060016S.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 396
Interesting? I would be interested in knowing why they painted that on there. Obviously not dating from WW2...

The caption on the shutter says "We handle the best products in the world".
As michaelmaltby kindly pointed out, the shop founder would have had business with Germany and been respecting Germany and its people.

If it was around 1960 to be painted, I remember that my fathers/grandfathers still had a strong sympaty for Germany. It is not difficult for me to imagine that the emblem would have symbolized it.

".... Roller shutters were not invented until 1956, so i think this painted sign is a post war addition."

Clearly postwar then, :) - but German quality steel is still German quality steel. It just means that Japanese society wasn't/isn't "P.C." (about the Nazis. at least :)).

In the M.E. on my travels I've met truck drivers in Mercedes Benz and Mann trucks that smile and say "truck strong, like Hitler". In their case, given the politics of the region, their words are a little more than just lack of PCism :).

MM

Does Japan not have laws like the German laws banning reference to pre-war Fascism. I know the Nazis weren't Japanese, but I would have thought that the Allies would have imposed some kind of anti-Fascist law after the war, and that emblems like the one pictured would be banned under that law... :?:

The caption on the shutter says "We handle the best products in the world".
As michaelmaltby kindly pointed out, the shop founder would have had business with Germany and been respecting Germany and its people.

If it was around 1960 to be painted, I remember that my fathers/grandfathers still had a strong sympaty for Germany. It is not difficult for me to imagine that the emblem would have symbolized it.

It does to me because it would not be showing sympathy to Germany 10+ years after the war.

Does Japan not have laws like the German laws banning reference to pre-war Fascism. I know the Nazis weren't Japanese, but I would have thought that the Allies would have imposed some kind of anti-Fascist law after the war, and that emblems like the one pictured would be banned under that law... :?:

We have no such laws like Germany but Article 9 of Constitution of Japan which bans the war as the means of international dispute solution.

Sorry Adler but it was our freedom of expression and legal like for many scale modelers and military goods collectors.....

I understand that of course, I do not believe the symbol should be banned. Nor does it offend me, I am neither German or Jewish. I just don't see how someone could consider it sympathetic towards a country so many years after the war, or better yet use it for advertising so many years after the war. Does that make sense?

Please don't take me wrong when I say this, but I think it would a pretty ignorant way to show sympathy or to advertise that you sell German goods. If I wanted to show that I deal in German goods, I can find a much better way to advertise it than using that.

If this were an original piece, then I would be like "Wow great find!" I hope that better sense...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back