Back in Time to Old Japan

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for your question, Capt. Vick.

We Buddhists call it 卍 "Manji".
We have both left handed and right handed though almost are left handed.

On a TV programme last week it said the traditional clothes that buddha is wears in sculptures is actually ancient Greek. The people travelling with Knowledge of Buddha got mixed up with their knowledge of ancient Greece, In the same way ealy pictures of Jesus were just copies of pictures of Alexander the Great.

Hi – My name is David. My older brother was caring for an older gentleman WHO PASSED AWAY LAST WEEK. My brother asked me to help clean out his apartment. In the process I discovered a blue embroidered jacket that belonged to the fellow who passed away. It seems that he was in the armed forces as I began to research the writing on the jacked. The rear of the jacket is embroidered in Japanese and English. It says "Camp Yamada Kokura Japan" It also says "Drinking Union" and has a large embroidered man holding a bottle that says "Old Elephant Booze". I was thinking that some of the soldiers had these specially made up and began trying to research the words mentioned on the jacket. The front of the jacket also has the name Jesse Newton (the name of the gentleman who passed away. I was wondering if you knew this fellow, or anything about the year of the jacket or the "Drinking Union". Thanks for your help. David Alexander

Sorry David I did not notice your post till a few days ago.

Firstly I appreciate your attention to my thread and let me pray your older gentleman's soul may rest in peace.
I did not know him and have no idea about the blue jacket but if his name is still Newton as you advised me by private message,
according to my further research during a few days, I came accross a former US military person's post for a reunion of Camp Yamada.
He writes

"1965 Bomb Renovation 2011/2/1 12:51

I was there in early 1965, as an A2c. Worked for SSgt Fitzgerald renovating M117's. remember MSgt Newton, Msgt. Penn, John Lockner. Recently was in contact. With Lt Bossi, who has written a book about his AF career. I was only there for six months before getting transferred to the Munitions Storage Area at Itazuke. best two assignments in my AF career. Would like to hear from anyone stationed at Yamada.

by Gary E Peterson (guest) "

I have no more detailed information like his email address but would like to recommend you to post your same question again there.
The reunion site address is Yamada Ammo Depot - japan-guide.com forum

Wishing aboves to be any help,
Regards,
Shinpachi

Hello Mike. Sorry for my absence for a while. I'm fine and believe you are fine too.
Please let me enjoy this forum again together with you.
Thanks!

Thanks Mike:)
I have a good season here in Osaka lately.
Have a nice day!

PA010211trimmed_S.JPG
PA030249trimmed_SR.JPG
PA030244trimmed_S.JPG

Beautiful pictures, as always. I have also missed your photography of your beautiful country.
Been very little mention here about your nuclear disaster is all well with your family

I was stationed at Yamada Camp in 67, I can remember those Yamada Drinking Union jackets, you could get them made by one of the local tailors.

I just discovered this thread and have really enjoyed reading through it and learning more and the Japanese culture and beliefs. Thank you for your direct insite and knowledge, Shinpachi. It truly opens my eyes and mind.

Thanks Thor! I'm so glad if you have enjoyed this thread:)
In fact, Mike is very good at creating the stream:lol:

Hello, Wayne:)
You are always so kind and friendly too.

All those who live in Japan have totally exhausted since the disaster of March 11 when as many as 20,000 people died and much more to suffer the radioactives for a long time. However, when six months passed, people began to accept the reality as cool as it is and to enjoy their life day by day.

Thank you very much.

20,000 killed!!!!! That is horrible, I had no idea that the death toll was so high and then the radiation illnesses and birth defects for years to come. I am so very sorry (poor words, i know) that such a trajedy has befallen your people and country

Thanks Mike for your so heartful words again.
It was 6,000 in 1995 when we had a big quake here in Kobe-Osaka area.
We had no way but kept going forward.
People and town have got more sturdy than before:)

Thanks_Mikeimage00.JPG

Thanks Wayne:)
This was very impressive shot in front of the Isshinji Theater which is located about ten minutes walk from my home.
When I asked them "May I take your photo?", returned "Yes, please!" with their pose and smile immediately.

Hello Wayne!image00.JPG

Thanks Eric! Your comment as a first-class photographer is always welcome:)

I often find some funny stuff in my town. They look funny even to Japanese eyes.
Attached is old movie posters in the back street. They are as old as forty years at least and make me wonder how they could survive for such a long time.
Almost are "Yakuza(gangster)" movies though.

IMGP0141S.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back